Why I’d suck at being a drunk (or… exactly when did I become such a freaking lightweight?)

Mysteries | Posted by Jannie on 8 October 2008 @ 3:11 AM 9 Comments

Okay, so it wasn’t the flu I had Monday, as I told most everybody.  I was hung over.  From 2 1/2 glasses of wine. First glass went down so great, why not another?  And one more big splash ’cause we’re having a blast with our new BFFs.
I can’t drink any more.  (But can’t drink any less, ha, ha.)
No but seriously, I’m not 24 anymore.  I guess my body can’t handle it, now that it’s such a temple of semi-fitness.
Here’s how Monday had to be re-arranged because of my hang-over…
1.  Summoned miracle strength to get The Child breakfast, pack her lunch, find her a matching outfit from a still-unfolded laundry pile, brush her hair into a ponytail, and get the booster seat out of my car for Jim to take her in his car.
2.  He drove her to school and she missed the first hour.  (She and I usually leave home at 7:40, Jim an hour later.)
3.  I almost vomited, wished I had.  I almost passed out on the toilet.
4.  I revived from #3, thank fuck.
5.  I slept 4 hours.
6.  Woke with a pounding headache, but a cup of coffee took care of that.
7.  I drank water.
8.  I drank enriched Soymilk.
9.  I arranged for another mom to pick The Child up, plus a two-hour playdate at the other child’s house after, and have them drop mine back home.  Nice friends!
10. Felt well enough to recline in bed with computer and post that Nee Von Vandervester thing.
11. Went back to sleep until The Child came home.
12.  We missed her Kung Fu class.  (I caused her to miss it.)
13.  And I missed my run that morning.
14.  Plus, I missed the Halloween Carnival committee update meeting that morning.
15.  And I didn’t work on my musical at all.
A whole day wasted.  Over 2 1/2 glasses of wine!  Never again.
I don’t really drink much (except for Sunday night, Lord fuck.)  I love a margarita now and then.  Love a white Russian.  A cold bottled beer or two on a hot day.   I can have a glass of wine with dinner a few times a week, or not, and leave it at that.   But due to our family’s upset Monday because of me being slightly alcohol poisoned, I can imagine how a real alcoholic would wreak havoc like that practically every day and how utterly terribly sad it must be for those families.  For the kids.
I’d suck at being an drunk because I’ve got ‘way too much going on in my life.
  • Twitter

On 8 October 2008 at 12:46 pm

Beth said,

all that over 2.5 glasses of wine?!! I would steer clear of the alcohol consumption over one beverage from now on!

hope the rest of the week is better!

On 8 October 2008 at 2:36 pm

Agreed! Or maximum a glass and a splash.

On 9 October 2008 at 1:26 am

Miri said,

Thanks for stumbling onto my blog! I really like the banner on yours, pretty colors. :)

I’m a lightweight as well. It happens to the best of us.

On 9 October 2008 at 7:15 am

Thanks, Miri. I actually took the picture myself, my sister photoshopped in the sky and lo – I added a border, fonts and stuff. I doooo like it toooo.

On 9 October 2008 at 2:24 pm

Kerri said,

Wow. Lightweight!!!1 Just kidding. ;)

I am 24 and I am not much of a drinker! I was when I was 21, but I have since calmed down. I can handle a lot if I do go out, but sometimes, it just takes two of anything to get me drunk.

However, I have only been hung over a few times in my short drinking career and well, it wasn’t pretty, but it was after going well past my limit.

I think that’s weird how it only took 2.5 to give you a massive hang over.

And yea, I feel for families with alcoholics. It can ruin lives if not careful.

On 10 October 2008 at 12:48 pm

Cindy said,

Maybe you were fighting off a tiny bit of a bug on top of some alcohol?

If that’s not it well…. that’s pretty rough! A few glasses of wine are so nice sometimes.

On 14 October 2008 at 12:59 am

davidbdale said,

Lightweight indeed. Any real drunk would have substituted some hair of the dog for #2.

On 28 October 2008 at 4:52 pm

Micheline said,

Interesting to know.

On 8 December 2008 at 7:10 am

Ten Honest Things | said,

[...] 10.    When I almost passed out a couple of months ago I was sure I was dying or suffering a brain stem aneurism that would leave me forever locked-in.  But it passed.  And here I am, a Big Bad Meme Breaker who will not pass this on as such, but will invite you to share ”An Honest Thing” or more about you, if you feel so inclined.  Thanks. [...]