Fun Stuff Kids With Broken Arms Can Do

The Pea | Posted by Jannie on 22 October 2009 @ 6:51 AM 64 Comments

Broken_Arm
Broke your arm?  You poor dear, that really sucks.  But take heart — you don’t have to live under a rock.  You can still do tons of fun things, like…

taking up a new hobby.  How ’bout apprenticing as a yarn spinner…

Spinning_Assistant

a weaver…

Loom_Weaver

or trying your hand at photography? (Moms in newly-acquired reading glasses make perfect subjects.)

mom_glasses

If you’re learning an instrument,  what a perfect opportunity to  isolate one hand!

Piano_left_hand

Can’t join in Kung Fu?  Don’t worry!  Observe your buddies to keep those moves sharp in your head.

Kung_Fu_Observer

Fan of shopping?  Those skills needn’t suffer at all with a pesky broken bone or two.  You can still enjoy shopping for all kinds of things — like, spider bread…

bakery_spider_bread

wigs…

Wig_Shopping

and the perfect pumpkin.

Perfect_Pumpkin

A broken arm needn’t keep you from hanging out with your buds either, the real ones…

Buddy_Hanging

real_ones

or the fake.

fake_bud

With a broken arm you can still keep up with your favorite blogs…

Favorite_Blogs

enjoy your favorite foods…

normal_meals

read to your dad…

Reading_To_Dad_Age_8

and remain a vital supporter of your local jazz scene.

jazz_scene

You can still enjoy the great outdoors too — just go easy, communing with nature or….

commune

busting a few gentle moves in a bamboo forest if that’s your thing.

bamboo_Busting

So don’t worry.  Be happy.   That cast will be off before you know it and you’ll soon be back to doing all the crazy- fun stuff that got your arm broken in the first place!

Be well and heal fast, sweet little darlin.’

butterfly

poll_revelation

On 23 October 2009 at 11:11 pm

MiaHysteria said,

Poor sweetie! And yet, she’s doing so much! You go girl (and love the cast color!)
    .-= MiaHysteria´s last blog ..Free Vaccination Clinic~Examiner Article =-.

On 24 October 2009 at 5:31 am

cinderkeys said,

Looks like the injury hasn’t slowed her down too much. I hope the itching isn’t getting to her!
    .-= cinderkeys´s last blog ..Loud =-.

On 24 October 2009 at 7:41 am

Hey, sweeties. This is my big school fundraiser day and I’m about to get an early start on it. So I won’t be around until tonight or tomorrow morning.
    m
    Take care and I’ll be back to answer all coments.

J.
    xo

On 24 October 2009 at 11:04 am

Mojo said,

Hi, just wandered in from Mama Zen’s and almost put my coffee through my nose on some of these. Classic series! I love the first shot. (But the trio of hanging with your buds — the real, and the fake… do I sense a subtle message in the placement of the captions?)
    .-= Mojo´s last blog ..Thematic Photographic 72: "Junk" v.4.0 – Pallet-ive Care =-.

On 24 October 2009 at 12:19 pm

Thomma Lyn said,

Oh dear, I’m so sorry that your little sweetiegirl broke her arm. Looks like she’s doing well, and I hope she heals quickly. Had to giggle at the “isolating one hand” during piano lessons thing. 😉 Lots of xoxo xoxo to both you and Kelly.
    .-= Thomma Lyn´s last blog ..Golden Autumn =-.

On 24 October 2009 at 6:45 pm

Rose said,

Who knew you could do so much with one arm. She is brave and very photogenic. :)

On 25 October 2009 at 12:31 am

BTW, I think Kelly’s “Walk Like an Egyptian” dance in the Bamboo is a great shot!
    .-= SnaggleTooth´s last blog ..Unindentional Rypos C =-.

On 25 October 2009 at 1:47 am

Jeanne said,

What a cute post! Only you could turn a bummer like a broken arm into a funny post like this. I hope she’s all better real soon!

Jeanne
    .-= Jeanne´s last blog ..Endochick Hospitalized =-.

On 25 October 2009 at 7:12 am

Hey, Lancie! Can I call you Lancie? I bet your mama does?! That’s how my name Jannie got started, as you know my real first name used to more or less be Jan. You are so silly, Beethoven the movie. I’ll try to get my photographer to be a bit more focused next time she takes my picture, okay?!

JAN!! Little Peanut went up and down a big bouncy-house slide about 75 times yesterday so I guess she’s snapping back pretty well. I will send her love along. Bone doctor said she can get the cast off Wednesday, seema bit soon to me but he’s the pro.

GUYS!! I shoudl go now. We’re off to Enchanted Rock today to meet our buddy Paige of this blog… http://paigeofabook.blogspot.com/ And we’re leaving in a little over an hour so I best get a moving, thinking I might wash my hair for the occasion!

I’ll be back later today!

On 25 October 2009 at 7:17 am

Tom Volkar / Big Link Rally said,

Love the pictorial story and the expressions on her face are priceless. What a fun and loving Mom you are. My daughter Em was the same age when she decided to tight walk the circle around the edge of an above ground pool. Yep she broke her elbow. That’s why I voted for retaining wall.
    .-= Tom Volkar / Big Link Rally´s last blog ..First Be Authentic In Three Key Ways =-.

On 25 October 2009 at 8:44 am

Jewel/Pink Ink said,

She is darling, Jannie. I am not surprised she doesn’t let a cast get in the way of living life large.

I love that spider bread. Do you have a bakery close to your house? That is what I miss about living in a city, having these funky little stores – especially bakeries – and picking something out of a glass counter.
    .-= Jewel/Pink Ink´s last blog ..Why I Write Boy-Stories =-.

On 25 October 2009 at 4:38 pm

Rose said,

Have fun Jannie. I can’t wait to hear about your day.
    .-= Rose´s last blog ..Rose DesRochers-Blonde Day- Pink Laptops =-.

On 25 October 2009 at 10:17 pm

ACCCCKKKKK — this computer just ate my comment. A sign I should be in bed.

Friends, good night.

See you tomorrow, rain or shine.

On 26 October 2009 at 5:35 am

Good Morning! Good Morning!
    It’s raining, raining hard.

DAVINA!! I’ll give her extra hugs from YOU. Thanks. She gets it off Wednesday morning at 9:00 and we will save it for her cast collection. Hopefully that’ll be the final 2 of 2 casts we have for her.

ZEENAT!! You’re back ! How are ya?? Did you get your moving done? I can’t wait to get over and see what you’ve been up to. Thanks for all those :) :) :) Very cheery. Appreciate them!

G!! Yes, Kelly was spared such poll suspense. :). Did your son have to wear a cast? kids, eh? Always on the go. I know sometimes I’ll find bruises on my and have no recollection of how I got them.

MOMISODES!! Thanks for all the wonderful well wishes. I’m sure she will heal extra fast now with all these positive vibes. (Paige says I’m a “natural” photographer, whoo hoo.”

TAMMY!! :) She does like to say active and get out and about a lot, always has since wee childhood, like 6 months old, she’d crawl to the door and look back at me. (pretty-much.) :)

MIA!! Isn’t that shocking green a… shocker! Says she’d get baby blue next time. I like the green tho, very cheery. No broken bones in your household yet, I hope?!

CINDERKEYS!! Hey, she had a little itching a few days ago but now that her swelling has gone down a lot she has gotten some relief from the pressure. She said she had a dream some one stuck cotton candy down there and it itched like crazy.

MOJO!! Well, welcome no longer stranger. How utterly humbled I am that you should grace my humble page and say hello, thanks. mama Zen is a hooty-hoot. And I look forward to checking out your blog.

THOMMA LYN!! Hello there, my classical pianist. Have you done much one-hand piano isolating? Just two more days until the cast comes off!! I’m gonna miss that thang (not!)

ROSE!! Yep, camera loves her indeed, of course it helps that she’s pretty cute. She is brave, yes, never fails to amaze me with her shining spirit. And sweetyness.

SNAGGLE!! Yes, I said “dance” and she came up with that cute little one. I must do some posts on our Zilker Gardens sometime, such a lovely nature place.

JEANNE!! Thanks you, Darlin’ for your kind words. Well, might as well get some photo ops, no matter what happens. She is growing so fast, I’ll be taking her wedding photos before you know it.

DELIGHTFUL TOM!! So sorry I let you down on your retaining wall vote, but you were far from the only one who voted for that. Okay, so you make, like, the 20th parent to share a kid broken elbow story in the past 2 weeks. Such delicate little areas. See you soon!

JEWEL!! That particular bakery is about 12 miles from our house. I love that place tho. “Great Harvest Bread” They have the most amazing chocolate chip oatmeal cookies ever. You out in the burbs, I take it? (I’m in the car a lot, I do pass the bakery on the way to Kelly’s school.)

ROSE!!! I met a blogger! I met a blogger!! And she is soooooo nice! Whoo-hoo. And Enchanted Rock was soooooo windy. And glorious. If I don’t get that post up this week, it’ll for sure be next.

HOLY COW!! I answered all these. Back to bed goes I. I am sooooooo tired. But now can sleep for one whole hour, whoo hoo, before getting a second start on the day.

On 26 October 2009 at 6:49 am

Robin said,

Poor Kelly! And you are both so funny! That spider is looking a tad affectionate – I’d watch out. Love to Kelly – Rob
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Ego Is Not A Dirty Word =-.

On 26 October 2009 at 5:18 pm

Miladysa said,

Aww poor poppet!
    .-= Miladysa´s last blog ..RoYds – Part 17 =-.

On 27 October 2009 at 5:23 am

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said,

Her expressions in these pictures are so funny. Such ennui!
    .-= V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios´s last blog ..A few new cards =-.

On 28 October 2009 at 3:18 pm

hey, how did you three ladies slip in there without me seeing yous?? So glad I check my previous front-page posts.

ROBIN!! Thanks! She got the cast off today, still has to wear her sling for the next few weeks out in public so peeps will be sure to watch out for her. No Kung Fu or gym for the next month, but that’s okay.

MILADYSA!! love that word, “poppet” you British have the coolest words. Like knackered, bollocks, suss out and wellies.

V-GRRRL!! Yep, and still a little ennui to go until she is back to full mobility. But in another month it will all be a distant shadow on an otherwise sunshiney day.

On 29 October 2009 at 7:43 am

Caity said,

Oh no! poor thing! I hope her arm feels better soon and heals well!!
    .-= Caity´s last blog ..One of those days. =-.

On 29 October 2009 at 11:31 am

Thanks, Caity! She got her cast off yesterday, must wear her sling for a few more weeks when out in public. And no sports for another month. But she sure is happy having that cast off!

On 29 October 2009 at 6:29 pm

Chris said,

This was great! [Sorry I’m so late…] Her little mug was the same in all the pictures. Slightly discouraged. SO CUTE! You’re such a good mother to get her out and exposed to so many activities and encourage her to carry on, cast and all.

Your reading glasses are sasssseeee. I like ’em!
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..Finding My People Is Like Learning to Drive A Stick Shift =-.

On 30 October 2009 at 5:26 pm

You are not your arm. Youare not any part of your physical body. You savor what you experience in part because you know how it feels not to have that. To be deprived of using part of your physical body empowers yo uto appreciate things on a new level. You sense past, present and future at once from the experience of the centre of you. To lose something and not get the implications means you will lose something else to learn the same lesson again. You learn as you go by choice. The universe is a beautiful one is you choose to sense advantages where you are every moment.
    .-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..How to incorporate nothing? =-.

On 31 October 2009 at 10:15 am

CHRIS!! You are a very good mother too, I know. We are so lucky to have all kinds of fun kids’ activities here in Austin. it’s truly amazing what’s available.

LIARA!! Your comment reminds me that we are all whole because of your souls, not because we have all our body parts intact. Yes, the universe is indeed soooo beautiful! Somedays I still can’t believe I’m alive.

On 22 November 2009 at 11:25 pm

Fun & Fact said,

You always come up with great stuff I just love your site you are very talented I’ll recommend your site to my friends and family members great job very appreciated..keep it up..
    .-= Fun & Fact´s last blog ..Photos from Pakistan (enjoy the stupidity) =-.