With Not A Dry Parental Eye In The House

Just Good Stuff, The Pea | Posted by Jannie on 18 December 2009 @ 7:55 AM 61 Comments

She surprised us with this, had kept her recital act a big secret. Chose the poem herself.

(That’s her dad’s “Yay!” at the end.)

When I Am No Longer
They can give my arms to the army
Take my eyes of blue,
And give my knees to the needy,
But my heart goes out to you.

They can take my shins to a shindig,
Hitch my thumb for a ride,
And give my wrists to a ‘ristocrat
But my heart stays at your side.

They’ll give my nose to the nosey
When they’re taking me apart.
They’ll give my hands to the handyman.
But you shall get my heart.

My ears will go to the eerie —
It’s scary, but it’s true
The rest can go to science,
But my heart goes out to you.

—- Brian P. Cleary  (from “Rainbow Soup” Poems)

On 21 December 2009 at 9:59 am

Sara said,

What a wonderful video to watch. It made me cry. You have a special soul living with you. Take good care of her and yourself:~)
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..Picture Story: My Turn Now =-.

On 21 December 2009 at 10:19 am

Nadia!! Pretty special, eh? And I just learned a very good friend lost her father yesterday, which makes me want to hug that child even closer than ever and praise the Great Almighty for the gift of her.

Wilma!! Thank you, what a beautiful beautiful sentiment you share here. I guess I must not be such a bad mama after all. :) no, but seriously — thank you for your lovely words.

Cath!! I am so very very very proud of her I could about burst at the seams and let all my love-stuffing out. You know how it goes with our kids, our heart just fills to capacity.

Jeanne!! Proud, yes and so so very deeply touched. And to have that memory on tape forever is something we shall always cherish. Imagine when her kids see it! Now, I only need to get her taped playing piano as another wonderful mom I know did.

Tammy!! Now you got ME all teared up again. I probably always will tear up when I watch this video. And tell me — what did I ever do to deserve this gift of a Kelly from our Almighty??

Mia!! Thank you so much. It was one of those beautiful moments to capture and share, for sure, a testament to the Great Love that binds us all together, the love I can only stop, wonder at and be grateful for.

J.D.!! Awwwww, “Little Tender Heart,” what a sweet sweet thought, thank you. And I’ll call you “Big Tender Heart Short Circuit Guy.” And I shall be “Mama Verklemptitude.” :)

Sara!! Yes, this special soul must I nurture and love with the utmost care and compassion. Don’t know what I EVER did to deserve such a blessing in my life, but let me tell you — I sure am grateful she’s around and hope I do justice to her.

xoxo to ALL you sweeties!!

On 21 December 2009 at 11:36 am

Momisodes said,

What a moment to treasure. She is such a sweetheart. There is no doubt she came from you :)
    .-= Momisodes´s last blog ..Deflating the holidays =-.

On 21 December 2009 at 1:02 pm

Laura Hegfield said,

Jannie…this IS TOTALLY AWESOME…hold on to this…she will grow up to be a tween then a teen…and…and… and still do really sweet things (by the way) and maybe shock you because she’s a tween or teen and you are really NOT expecting it then either!!! This is so precious!

happy holidays,
    Laura
    .-= Laura Hegfield´s last blog ..Darkness Provides =-.

On 21 December 2009 at 1:52 pm

Tess The Bold Life said,

Hi Jannie,
    This is such a testimonial to mom and dad! Way to go Funnsters!

On 21 December 2009 at 6:02 pm

Natalia Burleson said,

Aw that was great! :)
    .-= Natalia Burleson´s last blog ..Feeling Groovy =-.

On 21 December 2009 at 6:27 pm

Keith said,

Hello Jannie!

Oh my god. My heart just swelled with love for that amazing little girl, and my eyes..well, they pretty much filled up. :-)

I have three daughters who are 21,19,and 17 and watching this video reminded me of when my three angels were that age. Wonderful memories. Thank you Jannie, and please hug that precious little girl for me!!
    .-= Keith´s last blog ..It’s Time To Get Real! =-.

On 22 December 2009 at 12:47 am

kingofnewyorkhacks said,

hey Jannie,

that made my month !! Brilliant job, she was spot on and the words were breathess. Merry Christmas !
    .-= kingofnewyorkhacks´s last blog ..The King of New York Hacks …Brooklyn…and A Dyker Heights Christmas. =-.

On 22 December 2009 at 4:34 am

nilei helo said,

heloo my name is nilei

On 22 December 2009 at 6:51 am

sheila said,

Oh! Yay is right! She’s got such a cute voice too!
    .-= sheila´s last blog ..Back at the ranch. =-.

On 22 December 2009 at 7:57 am

Mama Zen said,

Awww! Could she be any cuter?
    .-= Mama Zen´s last blog ..I’ve Got Your Spirit Finger! =-.

On 22 December 2009 at 10:57 am

Lovely Momosodes… Why, I do believe that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to l’il ‘ol me — and you’ve certainly said some swell things to me since I’ve gotten to know you. Thank you.

Totally Awesome Laura… How beautiful, thank you. I’ve tears in my eyes again. She is only one year away from official tweendom, it starts at 9, right? And she’s quite looking forward to the new status that will afford her.

Sweett Tess… Thank you. We Funsters do try to bring you our highest quality programming at all times. Just wait til you meet the awesomeness of Jim Funster on this site someday. He’s quite the hoot too.

Natural and Nifty Natalia… So wonderful to see you here again. I hope you’ve been your super-happy-shiny self of late? Thanks for stopping by. Glad you could see this post.

Keith of the Three Grown Angels… It was quite the performance, eh? I think I shall always tear up when I watch this too. Thanks for your visit and heart- felt words. Oh, and consider my Little Tender Heart hugged!!

King — my One And Only King Of NY Hacks. HELLO!! Made your month, eh?? Now you’ve made mine with your visit and comment. I’ll very much look forward to seeing what latest amazing NY post you have to share with us.

Sheila of my heart… Her voice has always been strong, clear and so so cute, yes. It will be such a treat to go back over my old videos and hear her through the years. Great, as always to see you !

Mama of Zen And Mirth… I often ask myself that very question and can only ever reply ” No — I can’t possibly see how she could get any cuter. “They’re a total love trip, aren’t they?!

On 22 December 2009 at 4:03 pm

Jeanne said,

The acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree, I see! Fabulous, fabulous job, Kelly — on the choice of poem, the recital, and best of all that you were able to keep it a SECRET!

So, Jannie, when does Kelly start her own blog :)
    .-= Jeanne´s last blog ..Rebirth of Worth =-.

On 22 December 2009 at 8:54 pm

Thomma Lyn said,

*sniff*, absolutely precious and beautiful!
    .-= Thomma Lyn´s last blog ..Winter Storm Adventure =-.

On 23 December 2009 at 5:36 am

Dear Jeanne!! Kelly did start her own blog last week!! It’s http://www.coolkellycool.blogspot.com You can read it, but can’t comment on it. I have to figure out how to make it by invitation only. Thanks for popping by.

Dear Thomma Lyn!! You said it! What an angel , eh?? Pure and simple.

xo

On 27 December 2009 at 10:38 am

jingle said,

How lovely your little girl is, she has the sweetest voice and the most admirable talent in poetry.

Keep it up!
    See her next time :)
    .-= jingle´s last blog ..Banana Muffins (A Treat for You) =-.

On 27 December 2009 at 2:54 pm

Well jingle, thanks and hello!! Great to not only have you pop in but care enough to leave a comment. That child of ours does has a sweet little voice, so glad I have lots of video of her literally from the git-go of her first world. Banana muffins, eh?? Sounds good to me. See you soon on your blog!

On 30 December 2009 at 11:51 am

Ana Goncalves said,

I am touched.

That is such a profound message out to you as parents.

Such a beautiful sentiment, which I feel will never be forgotten and a good surprise too huh! 😀
    .-= Ana Goncalves´s last blog ..Love is truth guided by you =-.

On 1 January 2010 at 11:05 am

Ana, she is quite something — part of the one great love that made us and surrounds us at all times. I am still and ever will be verklempt to be entrusted with her.

On 1 January 2010 at 1:55 pm

Every moment is precious. A person can choose to focus on what he assumes he does not have or realize he always has everything soul ever requires in unconditional love. The innocence of children invites us to realize how good things are. Thanks you for sharing this. Happy moments!
    .-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..It matters not =-.

On 2 January 2010 at 12:52 pm

Liara, beautiful reminder that every moment is precious. Like this moment. And the last one. The next. And all the ones to come. Timelessness of love. Eternity of light.