“Doll Bed With Wine,” “For A Dear Friend” & “Kelly’s Korner, About Two Hours Ago”

Style & Stuff | Posted by Jannie on 1 January 2010 @ 5:13 PM 60 Comments

Doll_Bed_done_3

Part 1… Two days ago I posted (wow has it really been 2 days already?? Seems like last year!) about my doll trunk stenciling.

Today I present The Bed.

Doll_Bed_done_1

Doll_Bed_done_2

doll_bed_raw_2

This first part could also be called, “I Painted And Stenciled A Doll Bed And Drank A Little Wine, Tho Not Necessarily In That Order And Not Necessarily At The Same Time, But I May Well Have A Glass Of Wine Later On Today — Probably In The Bathtub, As Soon As I Post This.

Doll_Bed_raw_1

Doll_bed_pool_party_blue

Doll_Bed_Stencil_Action_Shot

PART 2…

And today is New Year’s Day!

2010 — whee-haw! Bla,bla,bla.

I was born in 1964.   What year were YOU born in?

Anyway… as to the new year…

For_A_Dear_3a

A wonderful blogging friend sent me a desk calendar for Christmas, wow — even after her first mail to me was rejected!  (I’d forgotten to tell you guys I’d let my P.O.box go.) Thank you very much, Dot!  It’s beautiful and I’ll enjoy it every day over the next 12 months and no doubt will be sharing pages of it here.

I wish my photography did justice to how pretty the card is, with sparkles.  The matching little envelope sticker is such a sweet touch too.

BEAUTIFUL!!

“Just like a white winged dove, sings a song, song that she’s singing.”   —  Stevie Nicks.

And…..  I swear I did not know about today’s calendar quote (below) when I took the above doll bed / wine pics much earlier today. Wow, talk about cool!!

For_A_Dear_1

For_A_Dear_2

And finally, or Part Three —  below is a picture of Kelly’s bedroom as it looks now.  When I was 6 months pregnant with her I painted and wall papered what you see below — teddy bears in hammocks and general teddy bear cavortation, if the latter is even a real word.

But now…  I am embarking on redecorating her room, the teddy bears having run their course! (I planned on starting the redo last May —  but why rush into these things??)   :)

Kelly has mentioned a Club Penguin theme for the decorating, but I think that will date too fast or she’ll tire of it, so I suggested maybe flowers or butterflies.  What do you think?  Any ideas?

Kellys_Korner

I apologize for the fuzzy picture of the bedrooom corner but I’m too lazy to get up, take another one, and do the whole uploading / resizing / USB switching thing [from my iPhone].   I’ll post some clear pics of that wall paper one day, and the complete bedroom befores and afters — of course!

All in due time, Grasshopper.   All in due time.

(Oh, I painted that old dresser too, about the same era I was decorating her nursery — June 2001.)

And…  one more picture to ’round this all out.

Kirstens_Korner

Wait!  One more — of our dining room, a couple hours ago too.

Dinging_Room_Today

Blessings, now and always!

Wine and a bath await.

xo

On 3 January 2010 at 2:38 pm

Paige said,

I like it all very much. I think the calendar thing is 6th sense sort of thing, ya know. your mind picks up on something like the card I’m currently holding…can you guess what it is?
    dare ya…triple dog dare you to say what card I’m holding. yes at the time I’m leaving this post
    .-= Paige´s last blog ..Fare thee well =-.

On 3 January 2010 at 4:26 pm

Patricia said,

Wow I am impressed and apologetic for not getting here sooner, but my IT was here and I was learning how to back up my computer and pictures and then the Internet went down.

I love the painted and stenciled doll furniture – you did a lovely job. As I said on the Doll trunk post, daughter #2 made a wardrobe and stenciled it for her American Girl doll and accessories….I am going to feature her two doll houses she made as my decor for a house warming/blessing party for my new neighbor on the 23rd.

We still have a penguin bedroom,though no longer a Amazon frog stenciled – jingle bell green complete with parrots, or a clematis purple with white wainscoating, night sky bedroom (She went Hello Kitty for her dorm room in college!)- they are now sweet butter yellow with fabulous duvet covers…back to the penguin guest room.
    IT/ Geekgirl SF painted her room all white (igloo) then painted a large cartoon penguin with a wool hat and scarf on the center wall. She build with her dad a shelf with pegs to run the whole length of the room – this holds nearly 100 stuffed penguins – on the book case are ceramic and blown glass penguins….She has taken about 50 of her 300 penguin collection with her to SF. The Duvet was black and the sheets black and white strips….The duvet now is jeans fabric….with red jersey sheets and plaid red, white and blue pillow cases. My Shaker Kit desk, dresser, and 4 poster double bed are now in the room. The floors are now hard wood and it warms up the room considerably…

None of the kids wanted my help to paint! And their rooms were able to change with each transition…
    The only room I decorated is the guest bathroom….our house is my husband’s business card for his work…I just keep it clean! and have veto power…and he help the kids build their bedrooms and paint/hang the closet doors and build their own beds….talent abounds…

So I am very impressed with your loving efforts and if I were there I would serve your tea and Barbara Swafford’s Rich and Tasty Scones!

On 3 January 2010 at 8:27 pm

You invite your readers to lighten up and reconnect with their child-like innocence. As each person adapts to his environment, he realizes he is connected to how others feel about his choices and action before he makes them. This is part of awakening to not only the fun of everything, but also the significance of subtle nuances.
    .-= Liara Covert´s last blog ..William Henry & cosmic significance =-.

On 3 January 2010 at 8:35 pm

Tess The Bold Life said,

OMG Jannie,
    Your house looks like mine used too! I think I drank beer instead of wine back in those days. The wine bottle in bed is flippin hilarious.

I kind of like the thought of penguins for her room! Something different anyone can have hearts and butterflies. Just don’t add a wine bottle border.

I think I want to paint again! Call me when you do Kelly’s room!
    Thanks for sharing your fun!
    .-= Tess The Bold Life´s last blog ..60 Ways To Become The Person You Love =-.

On 3 January 2010 at 9:24 pm

Rose said,

Hi, Jannie! Always fun to pop in and see what creative new project you’re up to. Love the doll bed; great color choices! A great gift to fire up a child’s imagination for hours and hours of play. I’m not familiar with the penguin character, but it could be fun to sprinkle 2-3 around the room in little surprise places, like low by the baseboard next to the door, or standing next to a window; instead of doing a whole theme, these would just be little happy surprises to be discovered. Just a thought.

You’d asked me previously about my camera. I’m not a skilled photog by any means, and don’t aspire to be. I’m a point-n-shoot, easy-peasy gal. I use a Canon PowerShot A1000IS. It gets the job done and the best part is that when I upload pics to my laptop, I just pop the camera’s media card into the slot on my laptop and it does it all auto-mat-i-cal-ly. I love that!
    .-= Rose´s last blog ..morning peace =-.

On 3 January 2010 at 11:07 pm

Wow.

Happy Lotus Nadia!! Enchanted to see you again. I too love those bedroom colors, painted when she was in utero and had not much say in the color schem matter. I still have half a roll of that wall paper left, I believe I shall never part with it, maybe my grand-daughter will make us of it somewhere. — From Jannie, who are in tune with the great universe of wine and wonder.

TAMMY!! talk about a freaking arrrrrg, I left, or at least tried to leave teh most glorious comment on your latest post, saying I was ADD too, tho I usually get my patients to teh hospital, or at least realize whether or not tehy are in teh car with me, and Do NOT change a thign about you — you are PERFECT, and you have an artist’s heart. But my iPhone was not cooperating to leave said comment on your post. Yet I have learned this comment is probably even better. So great I’m not even gogin to fix these typos! I’ve had my run-ins with 24 kt. gold plated spray paint too – — painted my genuine imitation leather skirt a nice brassy yuck. happy sunday (or whatever day you read this) too to you Tammy from TN!

lane!! happy olde new year to you too, hope it grabs ya by the socks and keeps on yanking — in the best sock grabbing way imaginable, of course!!

PAIGE!! IT CAME BACK??? The card you sent to my poor old now defunct P.O. Box came back?? Is that it? There is a great heavenly loving Lord. There really is!!! Well, I know that already. Consider me quadruple-dog dared. Or maybe it’s a card saying there is wine in the mail for me? What? WHAAATTT???? I’ll wait for delivery each day until three until you tell me.

Patricia!! You can be all as apologetic as you wish — just never go apopletic, okay?? Wow!! You going to take pix of the house-warming doll houses?? PLEASE!! What a great idea – -just don’t get them so warm and heated they catch on fire, okay?? :) Those are some special American Doll wardrobes. And holy freaking cow!! I cannot imagine the penguin room, with 4-poster bed. Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! Photos? Please?? Sorry about bugging for the photos, you know what a visual nut I am. Does it get kinda chilly in that guest bedroom, tho? I feel a might shiver just imagining it. And if you were here — I’d feed you ten Waldorf Salads.

Friends, so sorry, I must get to sleep. I look forward to answering the remaining comments in the a.of m.

ZZZ Z Z Zz zz zz z z z zz z z zz z z

On 4 January 2010 at 1:48 am

J.D. Meier said,

Oh, the wine looks so cute, just sleeping there like that.

What a coinky-dink with the wine and calendar. It’s like the law of attraction in action.

Your color choices are great — you know how to give good ambiance.
    .-= J.D. Meier´s last blog ..How To Change a Habit and Make It Stick =-.

On 4 January 2010 at 3:54 am

Barbara Swafford said,

Hi Jannie,

Aren’t you the talented one? I knew you were fabulous at singing, song writing, blogging and as a wife and mother, but a stencil queen, too? Do your talents never end?

You’ve making me feel inferior. Well maybe not inferior, but I do wonder how you find time to do it all.

Looking good, Jannie girl!
    .-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..The Power Of A Post =-.

On 4 January 2010 at 8:04 am

Glenn Buttkus said,

Jannie is now the new Martha Stewart. Gosh, I was just getting used to her being part Joni Mitchell, part
    Erma Bombeck. I, too, sent you a Christmas card, young
    lady. If you have canceled that P.O. Box, how can we Funster types out here stay in touch with you? I am proud to say I was 20 when you entered this plane of existence, born on Flag Day 1944. Course the inner child
    is still adolescent. Maybe the next skill you will get into is tole painting, that whole Scandanavian art deco thing. Penquins can be cool, but yes, within a very few short years she will want plain walls that she can tape posters on, and pics of her many beaus.

Glenn
    .-= Glenn Buttkus´s last blog ..Paths and Windows =-.

On 4 January 2010 at 9:02 am

Momisodes said,

I am MUY impressed! The bed and trunk turned out lovely. I just love the stenciling!
    .-= Momisodes´s last blog ..From the bottom of my heart =-.

On 4 January 2010 at 9:52 am

Dear Lovely Liara: I love this… “As each person adapts to his environment, he realizes he is connected to how others feel about his choices and action before he makes them.” That is so true. When something moves or resonates deeply with me chances are great my friends will too.

Dear Lovely Tess: Now, does my house look like yours used to because of wine in a doll bed? Or just the dolls and girly stuff in general? Dang, there goes my hope of a wine bottle border. Maybe I can stencil in a bottle or two among the flocks of penguins! Not exactly sure when I’ll be painting, gotta check out that Club Penguin wall paper first. Sure, I’ll call ya!

Dear Lovely Rose: Thanks, I LOVE those colors too. The blue of the flowers looks more purple than its darker appearance in the bottle — still I love it too! THis was my first ever stenciling endeavor, and I think I could well be hooked for life on it. And LOVE your idea for those surprise elements in her room, I might just have her stay out of the room a while as I put some of those touches in . Great idea, thanks!! Happy surprises are a super super great suggestion. Wow, a Canon PowerShot A1000IS. Nice job. And I still remember your home’s gorgeous golden glow for Christmas. So pretty. See you soon!!

Dear Lovely :) J.D. I put the wine to sleep, then it did the same to me. :) Why thanks J.D. (and say this whole sentence in an Ellie Mae accent, as she would say to J.B.) on your kind words about my color sense, just a little something I picked up from my grandmother, my mom’s mom, that is.

Dear Lovely Barbara: Well, ain’t you the sunshiney one getting my head all puffed up. But it is I who is inferior to YOU and your tremendous blogging and coding acumen. I stand on the shoulders of giants, like you to let my talents shine. I am so lucky to know you and learn so much from YOUR blog!! Thank you. Oh, and time? I do not have a “real” job, so that helps. :) Blogging may well becoming my job.

Dear Lovely :) Glenn: Why thank you. I did do some toll booth painting in my younger years, but not any tole. Oh, I am so sorry the Christmas card would not reach me, darn it. Forgive me greatly. Why did I neglect to mention my P.O. box’s demise when i did not renew it. E-mail me and I’ll send my home address, if you wish. Flag day, eh? I forget what that was. End of the war, or something?

Dear Lovely Momisodes: Thanks! It was so fun to do and I still have a couple tweaks to do on the table and chairs, power was off Christmas Eve and I’ve just not gotten around to it yet. I wonder if your girls will one day be into American Girl Dolls? I bet they will!!

On 4 January 2010 at 11:21 am

Caroline said,

How funny…a wine bed! You are beyond creative! And I saw your word on Lance’s post today. You go girl!
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..Life should be like small plates of good food… =-.

On 4 January 2010 at 11:44 am

Beyond Creative, http://www.beyondcreative.com. Should I snag up that domain name now?? If it’s not yet taken?? :) Gee, I think I better stick to just Jannie Funster — this one site keeps me hopping enough as it is. Well, thanks so much for your lovely words, Caroline. Ahhhh, Give, Give, Give, yes, there will always always always be more than enough — and then some, of the great great stuff to give. A wellspring, really.

xo

On 4 January 2010 at 12:16 pm

Ana Goncalves said,

Dear Jannie,
    The idea of the bottle of wine sleeping in your handcrafted doll bed is such an excellent idea!
    Looks like your having a lot of fun, and am happy to see more of your beautiful artwork on here. :)
    The desk calendar looks beautiful and that is such a sweet thought too. :)
    Happy New Year.
    Hope you all are doing well.
    .-= Ana Goncalves´s last blog ..Awaken =-.

On 4 January 2010 at 12:24 pm

hi, Dear Ana — that wine awoke beautifully refreshed and made me so happy. :)

Thank you for all, yes and you remind me to go and reveal today’s calendar page, thanks! It was so sweet of Dot.

All the best of love and light to YOU too!!

xo

On 4 January 2010 at 5:17 pm

Tammy said,

Hey Jannie
    I read your blog comment last night. Now, are you really ADD or are you just pulling my leg. You joke about stuff and sometimes I don’t know when you are being serious and when you are teasing. I like that bout cha…..all those wild tales. It sorta reminds me of myself because I do that a lot. So, you painted a skirt huh? Hmmmm now there is an idea!

On 6 January 2010 at 11:17 am

Hi Tammy!

I was kind of pulling your leg about the ADD, yes. But sometimes I do feel I flit from one thing to another, I could focus a bit better. Wild tales are the wonderful stuff of life! Keep ’em coming!! I love your imagination. Pink Psycho Bunny rules!!

On 7 January 2010 at 8:58 am

Jeanne said,

Jannie Jannie Jannie Jannie:

Hello y’all! It’s Spring Chicken here. I’ll bet you could easily get a dozen people to commit to placing a doll bed order so you could order a dozen doll beds and paint them on up.

I think you should do a post seeking a dozen people to commit to buying doll beds and then take advantage of that great buy from the manufacturer/get a shipping deal. Bonus that they are made in the USA.

Yes, on the talent factor. Some of us are not so crafty, Jannie.

No. I’d skip the alcoholic beverages when marketing the doll beds. Negative on the alcohol.

My daughter has ceased the doll furniture talk. I’m not sure how long my reprieve will last. :) I have her trained to just be very grateful for the two dolls she has. I need to hide the American Girl catalog! 😉

Ruthie’s purse broke after 2 days. I emailed AG yesterday. I got a very fast and very nice response and a new doll purse is en route, per my request, at no charge.

I got your note about Kelly’s penguin room. Excellent!!

We have something in common because my greatest success is having friends like you!

I can’t wait to see the Blue Bunny post. That ought to be a riot.

You’re the best World Famous Bra Flinging Doll Bed Painter I have ever “met”!! Seriously. I mean it. Sincerely.

Jeanne
    xo
    .-= Jeanne´s last blog ..Blogging Bug =-.

On 10 January 2010 at 9:42 pm

Jeanne said,

I am having trouble keeping up with you with blog comments. 😉

With all of our back & forth comments on recent posts, I decided to skim through and see if you’d written anything to me that I had not yet replied to. Sure enough, I just spotted this for the first time:

~~

Jeanne! I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay.
    I stencil all night and I stencil all day.
    I change my smock about once a year.
    But that’s okay – ’cause I’m drinking beer.

~~

Somehow I had missed it. You are TOO TOO TOO funny!

If it’s OK, I’d like to reply to your comment like this…

I’m a blogger and I’m OK
    Write at night & write in the day
    I’d like to give you a great big hug!
    We met thanks to the blogging bug
    Someday we will meet for real
    That will be a cool cool deal!

Jeanne
    .-= Jeanne´s last blog ..Blogging Bug =-.

On 11 January 2010 at 7:12 am

JEANNE!! You are so funny, good at pomes and little ditties. I LOVE this one.

And yes, we shall meet in Real Life, someday!