Gratitude

Ass Kicking, Friends, Nova Scotia | Posted by Jannie on 2 February 2010 @ 5:19 PM 77 Comments

Kelly_Alyssa_Chester_Nova_Scotia_2008
Kelly & Alyssa — Chester, Nova Scotia, 2008

Gratitude —  this month’s R.A.O.K.A. theme.  Where do I even begin?!?!  I have nothing but GREAT things in my life.

I am so grateful for my Awesome WordPress Consultant friend, Kim Woodbridge, who made my blog vision of Big Photos come to life, yay!! Thank you so so much, Kim!  People — if you want someone you can absolutely trust 100% to help develop your WordPress blog, Kim is it!! She’s been tweaking my blog for over a year now. And it’s no wonder she’s now got close to 5000 Twitter followers — she adds value to lives!!

Cousins_On_A_Beach_In_Canada_2008
Summer Cousins On A Beach At Sunset,2008

Speaking of photos, I am grateful that when my laptop’s power recently died, I didn’t lose any files on my hard drive!! Whoo-super-hoo!! I have experienced the heart-break of lost digital photos before, but not this time.

So so grateful, People.

(All pictures in this post are ones I thought were gone forever.)

Austin_Alyssa_July_2008
Austin & Alyssa, (niece and nephew)2008

Yes, I know in the grand scheme, losing one’s digital photos is pretty far down on the list, but still — I’m so happily grateful I recovered them.  And all the new songs I’ve been writing!!

First-time-roller_skating_age5
First Time Roller Skating — age 5

And lastly but very very far from leastly, I am grateful for bloggers like Happy Lotus Nadia, whose following comment to someone recently helped cement my decision to stop blogging on a set schedule.

“So often people fence themselves in by rules that they created and then forget that the boundaries can be broken at any time.”  Nadia — Happy Lotus

It’s only been 3 weeks, but I already feel so stifled by my self-imposed MWF blogging schedule, an experiment to see how it might affect my Google Analytics stats. But what do I care about stats if I feel hemmed-in while blogging?!  Where’s the spontaneity, joy and fun in that?!??  Duh, Jannie.  As of today I’m back to posting when I’m ready to, (whoo-hoo) and stats will take care of themselves.

And if I ever get to the point where I occasionally close comments because I’ve got a lot going on in life, I guess I’ll just have to take my blogging lumps.  :)

ALRIGHT!!!

Oh, wait — another wonderful Gratitude Thing today!!  Jeanne’s in town!!!  Jeanne, who’s been rambling this great country in a 30′ motor home for the last 4 months — is finally swinging our way. I’ll be meeting her in a few hours and we’ll hang out hopefully a lot until she has to leave Monday.  How great is that!?!  I’m even going to wash my hair after I post this and don a pair of matched socks in Jeanne’s honor!!

RAOKA1

As to R.O.A.K.A, I am not quite sure who is still in, but check here with Sami for the gratitude posts.

Chester_Nova_Scotia_Meditation_2008

And of course, I am wondering, what are you grateful for today?

xoxoxoxoxoxxoxo

On 5 February 2010 at 3:21 pm

MiaHysteria said,

Love the photos. I am thinking of returning to blogger. Just seems simpler in so many ways…but not sure that they allow you to put paid advertising ….Did I just digress. LOL.

I’m grateful for the wisdom to see what changes I need to make to be a better mother.

Have a good weekend.

On 5 February 2010 at 7:27 pm

BK said,

All these photos are treasure; I couldn’t imagine losing any of these.

I believe you must be having a great time with Jeanne now. Have a great weekend.

On 5 February 2010 at 10:55 pm

Momisodes said,

I am so glad you didn’t lose these photos. They are gorgeous! And how cute is that last one?

I can definitely relate to the self-imposed pressures of blogging *ahem….Blog365 insanity..* After 2008 I aimed for the MWF postings, too. Now? I try not to beat myself up for not posting often. Life comes first :)

On 5 February 2010 at 10:57 pm

Jeanne said,

Psssssssssssssst Jannie…

It’s me. You know. The Jeanne in the purple blazer. Yeah. The Jeanne who is suffering “Jeanne envy” because I am not the Jeanne who got to visit with you this week? 😉

I’m glad I made you laugh out loud. After all, that is what you should be doing over there in Funsterland, no? I really didn’t think you needed me to make you LOL. I really figured you have it down to a science on how to crack yourself up. I mean… You are La Funstress. At least that’s how you label your return address when giving the U.S. Postal service business.

I am happy for you and Jeanne that you got to meet “in real life”, as they say. Yes, someday we WILL hang!!

Your post had me quizzing Hubby about how well we’ve backed up our photos. Thank you for making me think about that.

Yes, I would find the MWF posting very confining too. True, you are not one to be confined. You are “Funster Free”!

Yes, Alicia is constantly in my thoughts and prayers these days!

OK. I will hijack your blog whenever I feel like it… now that you have provided me with blanket permission to do so. 😉

Jeanne

On 6 February 2010 at 1:06 am

Sean said,

Wow, those are some ultra cute pictures. I am grateful that it isn’t snowing yet.

On 6 February 2010 at 1:49 am

I’m grateful I can even load these huge pics to see them today! they ARE great!
    I hate that you can’t see digipics without a machine… Those battery frames that slideshow are great tho- of course I don’t have one yet!
    Glad you didn’t lose your treasures!
    I’d need alot of cds to back my projects up! I’m starting back-ups soon, will also cut out more bloggy time! Read BB’s note on ESR… am singing “Anticipation”

Hope you’re having a blast with Jeanne- Lucky you!

On 6 February 2010 at 2:39 am

Also I again wish to thank Glenn for making me laugh like crazy at another Lance discriptionL
    “…Somehow I imagine Lance is a whizz on the ice, wearing a pink speedo and fright wig, beer in one hand and hocky stick in the other! …”

On 6 February 2010 at 5:18 am

Lance said,

I am not pulling your legs or your arms! (maybe your nose) (I wonder, would that hurt?) And I don’t recall EVER wearing pink! Have I?? Or am I just forgetting?? Yikes!! We really have to do this Flogger conference Katie is dreaming up! It shall include a roller skating contest – and you and I will do the inaugural race. Scary! Scary for me, anyway!

If you promise to be there, I’ll wear that pink speedo and fright wig that Glenn is sure I have! Actually, that will just make you go faster – to escape that *ahem* sight! Skip the speedo, I’m going with the pink long johns! Deal?

Natalia,
    I expect you at this Flogger’s (Fun Bloggers) conference too! If I’m out there on roller skates, so are YOU!!

Glenn and SnaggleTooth,
    I wonder if the beer will help with pain management? Or if I’ll just end up spilling it on myself?? Okay…I’m off to practice on the pond next to our house – wish me luck! I shall master the art of the fall, while saving the beer. (fyi – since it’s a bit chilly here in Wisconsin today, I’m skipping the pink speedo)

Katie West,
    Are you out there someplace?? Hello!! That Flogger’s conference! Woohoo! (actually – woo-super-hoo!!) I’m starting to plan some fun activities, and I expect YOU to PARTICIPATE too!

Wow, I think I’ve just written a book here in the comments. Happy Saturday!!

On 6 February 2010 at 9:36 am

Morning has broken, like the first morning. Don’t you just love that song??

Dear Sheila, that sounds so so so great! Are you talking about Aventine Hill, or another green company? Oh, I know it its a new one you will be letting us all know. And I LOVED your post the other day on the strollers through the years — how sweet. You love your family so much, and it shows.

Dear Jingle, I am not a football person but i might just have to check out the game this Sunday, historical!! Oh will the Saints, come marching in???

Dear Lynn, but my love it is I who is lucky to have scored a friend like YOU!! Of all the million blogs out there (2 million blogs now? More???) and I stumbled on yours and for that I am more than and will forever be grateful. God loves me Grrrreat indeed. And yes, your kitty is soooo cute!! Glad about your eyes too. I guess you wear glasses??

Dear Mia, with the new gravatar, and as lovely as ever. Really thinking or returning to Blogger?? What seems to be the problem, my dear prettie? Spams? Yes, I’ve seen Google ads on Blogger blogs, but not sure if that’s the ads you mean. Ahhh, being a better mother, I think we can always improve, all of us, being humans and all. But Mia — from everything I know of you, YOU are doing a wonderful wonderful loving job of Mom. I know it!! IT shows in your words.

BK!! Well, I had kind of forgotten about some of the pix on the hard-drive so it was full of nice surprises when I hooked the drive up to see what-all was on there! Precious memories!! I had BLAST with Jeanne. And we’ll be seeing her again today in a little while.

Dear Sweet Momisodes, I just love that you’re not on a schedule! I always look forward to your WONDERFUL creative posts, your writing and photos are so great! Hey, did you actually make it through the 365 days of posting? Everyday? Wow, I’d go nuts doing that, not so much on the posts themselves, maybe. :) But on trying to keep up with all the commenters. ‘Life comes first,” Beautiful! That statement and you.

Dear Jeanne of purple blazer and “Jeanne Envy!” :) Yes, my dear, we will indeed meet in the flesh — I know it!!! I I’ll pull a Jeanne (the “other” Jeanne,) and ride with Jim and Kelly in a motor home all across this great land of ours meeting the whole 400 of you! had your hubby backed pix up? I be he has, that whiz-bang guy. No confines — yay!!!! Jannie’s on the loose like a rabid moose. :) Yes, hijack my blog, Baby! :) And after I post this comment I’m going to go over to Alicia’s and see if there is any news.

Dear Sean, are ye a bit of an Irishman, there, Sean?! I’m of 100% Irish descent, mesilf! And I’ve been to the Old Country one lovely time! Welcome. What brought you over to Funsterville??

Dear Snaggle, sounds like you have a little ‘puter space-releasing challenge ahead of you. Hmmn, one of those batter-operated computer frames… Hmmn, that would indeed be good for you to have!! Hmnnn. I’ve never had one of those, but it would be lovely for favorite pix indeed! Yes, had a lovely time with Jeanne on Wednesday and will hand out with her again today, she is as nice as I thought she would be from her blog. As to Glen’s description of Lance, I bet he is 100% right!! And I want to see the photographic evidence of it!!! Lance, have Lora snap a pic of you in that garb, okay??

SPEAKING OF THAT LANCE CHARACTER!!!…

Dear Lance, welcome back. Charmed to see you again, I’m sure. :) I don’t know if pulling my nose would have any effect — I’m kind of a “hard-nosed” person. 😉 I know you’ll probably beat me in any roller skate race, ’cause of your long legs and all, but I’m up for the fun!! Can I use my in-lines? Dude, I promise to be there for the flogger fest!! Katie??!! Tess??!! Snaggle is not a beer woman, but she does like an occasional cocktail, rum and coke is it, Snag? Lance, your looks And BOOKS!! are always welcome here. Even small pamphlets. Outlines. Headlines. Or any combination of the above.

xoxoxox
    xoxoxox

On 6 February 2010 at 2:51 pm

debbie said,

I am so glad you didn’t lose any photos either. And these are wonderful ones. So vivid.

On 6 February 2010 at 9:42 pm

Tammy said,

Jannie you are such a nut. You feel penned in by blogging huh? Well, it’s your party sister, cry when you want to. It is all up to you. We are just along for the ride. :)

On 7 February 2010 at 4:07 am

jingle said,

a sunshine award 4 u, 😉

On 7 February 2010 at 6:49 am

I should have explained – I had eye surgery last Thursday to remove a non-age related cataract. My vision is so much better – pretty exciting. :)

On 7 February 2010 at 8:35 am

Steven | The Emotion Machine said,

Haha – I love Kelly’s meditative pose in that last photo, she looks so intent and it is absolutely adorable. You have a lot to be grateful for Jannie! Thanks for giving us a peak! :)

On 7 February 2010 at 9:19 am

Dear Debbie, I am so thankful too!! And I love the word vivid for these photos. The Maritime summer does pack a lot of beauty into it’s few short month of warmth.

Dear Tammy, hi! How’s the studying going? I love blogging and always will — but it was that Monday, Wednesday, Friday posting I out myself on that was sapping my time and joy- energy. But no more, Baby!!! Yay.

Dear Jingle, a sunshine award? For me?? Thanks!

Dear Lynn, I didn’t know about your cataract. So glad you got it removed! Vision is truly an amazing gift and something to be grateful indeed.

Dear Steven, hi and welcome! I do indeed have a great deal to be thankful for. And Kelly is high, high on that list!!

On 7 February 2010 at 11:09 am

william said,

many congratulations on your “sunshine award, much deserved and congratulations to the nominees, a great sunshine day :)

On 7 February 2010 at 12:29 pm

Tammy said,

Studying?? ummmm, the most aggravating thing so far is that blasted statistics class, as you have heard me say for the 100th time. Even using a scientific calculator, it still takes hours to sort through some of this crap. You know you are in deep doo doo when the math lab tutors roll their eyes when you mention statistics. So far my instructor has said, “this is a hard course.” AND if that was not encouraging enough, one of the lab instructors, said “my condolences.” Shouldn’t that be on a “things not to say to a student” list?

Oh, I am sure that MWF thing got out of hand because you have so many admirers. Honestly, that might drive me nuts.

You know blue bunny is starting to become a little too real. Do you remember Knight Rider and how that car had a personality? I am starting to get attached to blue bunny. It is creepy jannie, creepy. I forget he is stuffed sometimes. Don’t let him read this. It might hurt his feelings.

We will put BB up against Santa Clause. Who doesn’t believe in Santa, right?

On 7 February 2010 at 1:48 pm

J.D. Meier said,

Take your blogging lumps reminds me of the Bugs Bunny episode where Pete Puma can’t figure out whether to ask for 1 lump or 2 (and I think he gets 3 or 4.)

Perfect pics. I didn’t know they still make roller skates with 4 wheels, since I’m so used to roller blades.

On 7 February 2010 at 2:00 pm

Sara said,

Jannie — I love the big pictures!!! I agree with Lance about the roller skate pictures. I never have learned to roller skate:~)

Good for you about deciding to blog when you want to, rather than on a schedule. Blogging is supposed to be fun…so do your way:~)

On 7 February 2010 at 2:50 pm

Chris Edgar said,

I’m glad to hear you have “de-jobified” your blogging schedule — I know that giving notice to my inner cigar-chomping magazine executive was a hugely liberating experience for me.

On 7 February 2010 at 3:50 pm

Wilma Ham said,

Oh Jannie
    I have ‘watched’ you in cyberspace but never commented as to pace myself. Laughed at bunny’s comment and heard you singing at Christmas. But now we have such aligned posts I have to say; “I have loved you from a distance, but no mre.”
    Yes, you got it in one, oh creative clever one. Forget the built-in slave driver, slavery is actually long gone and it is time we catch up!
    You go and play and what is that about matching socks????
    Love Wilma

On 7 February 2010 at 4:17 pm

Whoo-hoo!!

Dear William, I’m just pleased as a pork pie hat on a pudding pop (whatever I mean by that,) :) about the Sunshine Award, whoo-hoo!! Especially since today is so overcast and chilly.

Dear Tammy, you need a Dan Arseneau — he was my friend in school when I needed stats help. He was also the guy who let me ride shotgun on his bicycle down hills, steep hills, so maybe that daredevil aspect you might want to avoid. Is this your only stats class you will have to take? i hope so! i only eer had to take one. No, never watched Knight Rider, but I did read Stephen King’s “Christine.” BB is stuffed yes, with with sugar, spice, puppy dog’s tails and lots of karrits.

Dear J.D. I remember those cartoon lumps episodes, so ridiculous, but funny as all get-out. Yep, they indeed do still have the 4-wheel skates, but I think they’re the same ones the rink bought in the early 70s. They tend to be easier for beginners.

Dear Sara, Yay!! Big pics!! Big pics!! Heaven, I’m in heaven… If you ant to learn to roller skate I suggest buying a pair and making yourself get around on your tile at home — you’ll catch on! Yesssssssssssssssssss, I have had a blogging epiphany. Post when I want to. What a concept, eh?? Yet, there was a great lesson, in that I know how I do NOT want to blog. Whoo-hoooooooo.

Dear Chris, yes, sometimes we just have to know when to go with our hearts (and guts.) They cannot be ignored. ; And if we do, we lose. inner cigar-chomping, eh? A short fat stogie in grubby fingers, pictures I. perpetual 5 o’clock shadow on him took right?

Dear Wilma, it will be such an honor getting to know you too! No more loving looks from afar, indeed!! :) Matching socks — um, I don’t keep up with my laundry sorting and putting away as much as some folks do. But I’m working with an open-hearted mind on that! And dish doing. Why — just this past week I’ve done dishes twice!

On 7 February 2010 at 6:47 pm

Yaya said,

GREAT pictures!

I gave up blogging on a “schedule” awhile ago. Quite liberating. It had become a chore and I thought, I started blogging for fun, not as another chore in life.

On 7 February 2010 at 7:01 pm

kimmi said,

Wonderful post and just beautiful pictures, Jannie!!
    x0

On 7 February 2010 at 9:15 pm

Evita said,

Hi Jannie

Oh those photos are so cute and what a beautiful piece you have put together on gratitude!

I too love the idea on not getting boxed in by any rules. With each day I feel more and more like freer (than I already am) spirit and any rules or limits I find uncomfortable.

It is beautiful to be free to express ourselves according to our hearts and souls and not be tied by all the things the mind “thinks” we have to do!
    And so I am finishing off by saying that I am also grateful for people like you!

(How cool was that I made a rhyme 😉

On 7 February 2010 at 9:33 pm

Katie West/The Levity Coach said,

Since when does Lance get to make comments to other bloggers on your site…that guy is so out of line I swear. :)

On 8 February 2010 at 12:53 am

Rose said,

Lovely photos. You have much to be grateful for. I’m grateful for all the blessings of life.

On 8 February 2010 at 4:24 am

Zeenat{Positive Provocations} said,

Jannie, I actually thought i left a comment here…and came here to see the reply..and what do you know…my comment is lost in cyberspace :( boohooo….
    But i am thankful I came here..and am grateful to have met you..in light of our gratitude theme :)
    And the blog looks awesome..pics and all….Just as gorgeous as Jannie herself !
    Much love,
    Z~

On 8 February 2010 at 6:16 am

Dear Yaya, that’s exactly how I felt, posting was feeling like a chore. Silly huh, the things we do to ourselves! Thinking about you!!

Dear Kimmi, hi Sweetie! So great to see you. Yes, I’m so happy to share the big pix! I’ve always been a bit of a shutterbug, so this will be awesome-good for me! Whoo- hoo.

Dear Rhyming Evita, are you a poet and you don’t even know it?!? :) ahhh, I am grateful for you, always a treat to see your shining face at my door. Rules-schmules! Boxed in — schmoxed- in. Set it freeeeee. Whoo-hoo. Beautiful wisdom in your comment.

Katie, dear. I swear — that pink long-johned Lance character just swoops in here and flounces around like he owns the place! I don’t know what I’ll do with him. Maybe a blog partnership might be good! He already owns all our hearts, might as well co-own our blogs too! Ahhhhh, is blogging The Best– or what??!!

Dear Rose, ahh thanks. Photos. Life. Laughter. Lemmings. No wait, lemmings are Sami’s thing. Blessings galore. Sunshine at the shore. Blogging rocks!!

Dear Zeenat, I’ll find myself having not commented too, sometimes, when I go back to check what the blog author replied to me. I’ll be like , what?? My comment got munched up by the cyber- thresher!! Well, so very glad to see you here. Ooo, gorgeous, what a nice compliment! How will I be able to fit my head through the door today?! You’re sweet, Zeenat!

xoxoxoxx

On 8 February 2010 at 9:33 am

Lance said,

Inlines? Sure, knock yourself out! (well…that’s what would happen with me on inline skates anyway!). And to that thought of me acting like I own the place – hmmm…I suppose I should really fork out some funds for your hosting service, then. Maybe if I come down and scare the fire ants from your neighborhood, that would count for something?? I’m sure I would scare them if I were wearing pink long johns and a wig. Come to think of it, I’m sure I would scare them, even without the long johns! Partner!! Pardn’r! However you say it, that has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it! And speaking of ringing…I think I hear the telephone, I’ll be right back. (break while answering phone) I’m back. It was the Sven. He is not a happy camper (why was he camping, anyway???), I must get back to my question marks. You (and that one called Katie, too!) are super-awesome!!

Dear Katie,
    Note that per Jannie’s blogging manual, I am now following her method of addressing commenters here. (that would be the “Dear” part that I have added). I think that puts me all in line (as opposed to out of line!!). And that in-line will NOT include any skates!! I’m going 4-wheels all the way, like a car! And…about your self-proclaimed swearing here…hmmm….I am leaving that one up to the head honcho around here…Ms. Jannie…

Dear Jannie,
    Woo-super-hoo!!!!!!!!!

On 8 February 2010 at 2:08 pm

Carla said,

Ooh, I love the new look! I love those large sized photos! Awesome.

On 8 February 2010 at 2:57 pm

Lance!! You are so funny. And really? You are not an inline skater? I just assumed you grew up ice skating and transferred your skills to asphalt. Oh Sven!! How is he? Did he camp in a tent? What kind of sleeping bag? One guaranteed for -40? Does he wear pink long-johns? Does he have a propane or sterno stove? Or a stove at all? Is his favorite part of camping the morning coffee, as is my favorite part? How is Olga?? Do they miss the Olde Countrie?

Carla!! Yay, another lover of the big pix — whoo-super-hoo!!!!! I liking them too, very very much!! In fact, gotta go line up some pix for future posts! See ya.

On 11 February 2010 at 8:08 pm

Lucky Lance Lives Life said,

[…] […]

On 13 February 2010 at 5:28 pm

Cheryl from thatgirlisfunny said,

Your over-sized photos are gorgeous and what a fun way to show off the girls. So sweet and cute – especially when “meditating”.

Congratulations on hitting the one year mark! We’re half-way through the “passion” month of February! Happy Valentine’s Day.

On 13 February 2010 at 6:57 pm

LUCKY LANCE LIVES LIGHTLY AND WITH LOVE!! You go . Bro!! Dont have a clue who you are but all teh best of this and all worlds to you.

FUNNY CHERYL!! Whoo-hoo!! Whoo-super-hoo, to be exact!! In a way, a very small part of me wants to play small with my photos, but screw that small part!! I loves my photos big. And if I get sued for photo awesomeness, well, I guess I’ll just have to cross that bridge if I ever have to! 😉 Super- Great to see your shining face here again!!

On 15 February 2010 at 10:45 pm

Beauty, Gratitude, and the Open Heart said,

[…] […]

On 16 February 2010 at 2:17 pm

Beauty, Gratitude and Open Heart!! Thanks (I’m sure!)