The Sweetest Bloom

Style & Stuff, The Pea | Posted by Jannie on 10 February 2010 @ 11:45 AM 56 Comments

Me_Front_Entry_1994
(Me & Chance — March, 1994)

In autumn of 1993 God came to Jim in a dream and told him to build planter boxes in front of our humble bungalow.  And Jim did.

God told me to splash our bungalow’s dull grey trim with Bermuda colors, then try my hand at filling the planter boxes. And I did.

Spring bulbs came up!

Little birdies sang.

We drank much beer.

Front_Entry_1994

In early 1995 God sent Jim visions of a terra cotta / dark green paint combo for the bungalow. And it came to pass.

Front_Entry_1995

God told me to paint the door white. That too came to pass.

The shrubs flourished, I planted others. And trees!  I dabbled in summer flowers.

We drank more beer.

In 1994 we started building our first addition, then a second in 1996. And later, a third — glimpses of which I showed you here.  Sometime during the years of those first 3 additions, God also had us gut and remodel our kitchen and transform a spare bedroom into a dining room.

At some point the front door went green. (God likes to change things up.)

He saw that things were very good.

He gave us The Child. This one…

Sweetest_Blooom_12_months_old
Sweetest bloom our entryway has ever seen.

Then…

God smiled and said  “Jim, my son. You have done well with your own two hands.  But you must build a 4th and final addition to the bungalow. Begin by taking out the planter boxes you built on the south side of the front yard. There you will build a whole new entry into a breezeway connected to a 2-car garage with a media room up over it.  Build a half-bath at the top of the stairs. (A lean-to shed off the end of the new garage would please me too.)

Make sure a gilded wooden pineapple decorates the very pinnacle, that you take at least 8 years from start to finish of said project in your spare time, and that you also build this for The Child while you are working on Addition Four!

Oh — and paint the entire abode again (I like that new “Navajo White” with dark green trim I see folks using.)

But, Jim my son, please finish the interior of Addition Four by December 1st, 2010.  Even though Jannie will one day find respite in something called “blogging,” which will ease her wailing and moaning over what she will come to dub “this fricking never-ending house remodel,” she’d really like the Christmas tree in there for 2010!”

So it was decreed.

Yesterday God told me to go out with my iPhone and take a photo of the exterior of the very lovely-but-still-unfinished pineapple-pinnacled addition.

The_Lord_said_to_jimmy

And one of our entryway.

Front_Entry_Today

Yes, the Old Door is still where it was in 1994! The New Door is in the breezeway addition.  We’ve had both doors for 5 or 6 years now. (We use the new one.)

The “tree” you see to the left is actually the one-same little pittosporum that was behind the tulips above!

God says that one day the Old Door will be magically replaced with a beautiful new window, one with finished stonework all ’round.

Fairies will dance and glazed donuts will pour down our street like tumbleweeds.

Yes, there will be beer for all!

And our sweetest bloom will continue to grace our every breath.

The_Sweetest_Bloom

What’s your sweetest bloom (or blooms) in life these days?

xoxoxoxox

On 13 February 2010 at 10:31 am

Josh Hanagarne said,

For me, it’s always my son. He’s about to turn two years old. He makes every day better, no matter what kind of day it was until I came home.

Kelly’s adorable, by the way, but you didn’t need me to tell you that.

On 13 February 2010 at 12:12 pm

Davina said,

“And our sweetest bloom will continue to grace our every breath.” Now THAT is a photo finish Jannie. First God and then a little angel :)

My sweetest bloom these day? Honestly, I don’t have one right now. This too shall pass. Spring is coming…

On 13 February 2010 at 3:06 pm

Tammy said,

Okay, is there anything you cannot do? You write poetry and songs, sing, play music, decorate, plant gorgeous flowers and apparently help design some of these rooms. I declare- that is some real talent all compiled into one person. I might have to apprehend you and auction you off on e-bay. Talent wise (metaphorically speaking) you are like a Wal-Mart super center…you got it all.

On 13 February 2010 at 3:52 pm

kimmi said,

:giggles with delight: I love this, Jannie, such beauty, talent and hard work. a sweet day to you and yours tomorrow. <3

On 13 February 2010 at 6:43 pm

jINGLE!! sWEET wEEKEND HAPPY wISHER. sHOOT, ALL CAPS. Again, with the same feeling! Jingle — thanks, sweetie, I very much appreciate your weekend wishes. A loooong weekend, yay. You know I’ve been waking at freaking 5:30 lately. I will appreciate sleeping in the next 2 days. (Smiling here, and looking oh so very cool.) :)

Vikim! Hey and a hearty Funsterland welcome. I peeked at your blog and like what I see, lots of sunshine and love over there. Visions of Funsterland things do bring childhood feeling rushing in, I hear. Yes, I think I may be a photographer!!! I read a 2-page pamphlet once that mentioned lighting, the rule of 1/3rds and taking 100 pix to get a good one sometimes. :) Well, thanks, I might just submit that last one someday, somewhere, you never know what my wild mind may get up to.

BK!! Yo, quite a journey indeed when I pieced this all together. And I’m going to take a photo of that room over the new garage in December, whether it’s finished, with Christmas tree or still full of sawdust and lumber ends, as it is now.

Josh!! Hey, aren’t you “dainty one” who lunches with Seth Godin!? (Yep, peeked at your latest post.) That’s so cool. What I’ve seen of Seth, he’s s real sweetie and adds a lot of value on the web. Ahh, 2 years old, I almost wish I could turn the clock back to have Kelly that old again, but time marches on. She’s almost 8 and a half now. See you soon on your blog!

Davina!!!!!! And that photo just popped up on my recovered hard-drive and there she was. (There was a lot of spaghetti sauce on her face I painted out of that shot, but just a little secret between you ‘n and me and the nearest water tower, okay?) Davina, YOU are one of my sweetest blooms. You really are.

Tammy!! I can’t sketch or draw, can’t raise the following plants without killing them… Boston ferns, bouganvillea, geraniums and African violets. I went to Ireland and was the worst on ate dancing those dances they do at the party pronounced Caylee (Forget the actual spelling, too lazy to Google.) Cayleigh? Not to disrespect my homeland folk that is. I am of 100% Irish descent. Please forgive What else can I not do? Ride a horse, milk a goat, knit, do underarm farting noises with my hand, or do the splits. I used to be able to do the splits pretty well, tho. Any other questions?? :) Oh, go ahead and auction me on ebay!! I’ll probably be as popular an item as cracked emu eggs.

Kimmi!! Smiles back and hugs you. Ahhhhhhh, shuchks. thanks!! How will my future posts ever compare to this one? maybe I’ll just leave this up for another week. But probably not! Actually I have NO IDEA what I’ll be posting next. But I’m sure something will come to me.

xoxoxoxxoxo

On 14 February 2010 at 7:47 am

Tess The Bold Life said,

I think we should name your new book Conversations with Funsters and knock Neal Donald Walsh off the best sellers list once and for all. And we’ll all come and eat donuts and drink beer.

Bloommin’ sweetness would go to grandson Henri who tries to kiss the screen when Skyping, is just taking his first steps and had his first donut yesterday………………………………..

On 14 February 2010 at 9:56 am

MiaHysteria said,

The metamorphosis of your home is as beautiful as the blossom of your life together.

And really…Jim can come here any time. We have lots of beer. He could tinker and we could get even more beer….

On 14 February 2010 at 1:33 pm

Tess!! Neal Donald Walsh, I’ll have to Google him. Oh, sweet little Henri! I bet he loves his granda-ma, crazy big much. I have yet to Skype, another fun thing to add to my list. Loved your latest post, Tess. Of course, I love them all. You are so generous and kind.

Mia!! Ahh, so sweetly said. Thank you, my dear. Jim and I will soon be embarking upon the Funsterment Blogger Home-Fest Tour, you are now 32nd in line. One home a week on our grande tour. Would you like an addition or a reno?? 😉

On 15 February 2010 at 10:43 am

Chris said,

God and beer provide you two much wisdom, vision and inspiration. It’s a beautiful combination, really. You’re house is absolutely gorgeous! Seriously. It makes me feel all happy and welcome, like I’m invited to smell your flowers and caress your trees, and enter your doors. Loved looking at all of these and reading your funny, funny words! XO

On 16 February 2010 at 2:20 pm

Chris!! Thank you lovely lady. God and beer provide all indeed. Well, leave out the beer part — God is IT 100%!! We do love our friends and welcome all to enter our Funstering portal!! maybe you’ll be one of them some day. The Canada house will be a welcoming place too, and it’s right across from the water — we can even build a nice little boathouse on the shore.

On 16 February 2010 at 8:55 pm

Katie West/The Levity Coach said,

Jannie
    As usual I was smiling the whole blog…love the story and can relate to the renovations. Looks great! And yes I too thought your house really had a sign that said FUNSTERLAND on it. most excellent.
    After all of our years of renovations, the hubby and I have decided we want to live on a tour bus….and travel the country with the kiddos. Maybe we can tour bus to see Funsterland.
    My sweetest blooms are asleep-ish right now. And your bloom, Kelly…sure is adorable!

On 17 February 2010 at 12:26 pm

Katie!! I think you all should totally hop on the tour bus (gus) and get yourselves traveliin’ free. That would be Most Excellent, and Funsterland will be waiting with open arms, maybe with a little drywall dust too, but always welcoming to you. Forever and a million days.

xoxoox

On 18 February 2010 at 9:56 pm

Jeanne said,

Oh, it took me forever to get over here and comment but I finally made it! It has been a rough week…

I love the pictures! I had never seen your circa 1994 hairdo. How cute you are in that picture with your long dress amidst the tulips! The imaginary Funsterland sign in that picture kicks some a$$ too! That is a classic picture of you… the reigning Queen of Funsterland enjoying the royal tulip splendor.

Seriously, you’ve done LOTS of hard work and been VERY patient… and your house looks GORGEOUS!! :)

Kelly is so, so, so cute! As you know, I have my own “sweetest bloom” right here. 😉

Jeanne

P.S. Were you quoting Joni Mitchell on comment #10? Did you know that they played “Both Sides Now” during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in Vancouver? Yes indeedy!

On 20 February 2010 at 7:02 am

Hi Sweet Jeanne, now look who it’s taken forever to get to this comment. I bought that dress in Canada in 1987 and I’m sure I wore it 1000 times until it gave up the ghost. Yes, my hair underwent a less-than-desirable cut at one point, the lady kept chopping and chopping. Yes, you have one very very sweet bloom indeed, little snowman artiste. :) Yes, I was quoting Joni Mitchell for sure and no, did not realize they played that at the opening games, how cool! Joni Mitchell has a house about an hour (or 2?) outside Vancouver. She bought it like in, 1970. xoxo

On 21 February 2010 at 8:24 am

Renee said,

That’s pretty amazing! The remodel is LOVELY… but more than that, I want to know how to get God to tell my hubby he needs to vaccuum or do a little yardwork… Just a little….

On 21 February 2010 at 5:01 pm

Renee!! So happy to see your sweet funky folky eye back here again. I’ve missed you!!! I’ll have God send my Jim over — he’ll get your hubby motivated, I’m sure. :)