Jazzercise Advice & Something I Can Only Confess In A Poem

Ass Kicking, Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 12 May 2010 @ 12:11 PM 57 Comments

kerrville_2006_a

kerrville_2006_b
(Yep, that was our Kelly, almost half her life ago)

Jazzercise  Advice

Claim a good spot.

Off to the side works.

Back corner is primo!

(Any spot, IMHO,

without a backpack

staking its owner’s claim,

is more than fair game.)

Yes, the veterans may

give you the stink-eye

if you’re in “their” spot.

But they’ll get over it,

and will lead productive

lives again. Eventually.

So be swift and stalwart!

And wear good shoes.

Something I Can Only Confess In A Poem

I felt a little bit like crap

before I wrote the above

Jazzercise poem. I needed

a laugh, because it appears

one of my Perfect New Songs

I have such great all-knowing

hopes for quite probably has

the verse melody too similar

to one part of “Under The Sea”

from Disney’s Little Mermaid.

So, back to the melody drawing

board for me. My chorus is still

good tho!  The challenge is how

to nest it silkily beside a new

verse melody. One little voice in

me goes rah-rah that “Let’s Drink

Up The Stars” will be good, and

this is A Valuable Life Lesson.

But another  little voice in me

nags that I’ll never write a

decent song again, my dream

of winning Kerrville Newfolk

will forever be out of reach

and I’ll belly flop through life

depressed and always with

my shoes on the wrong feet.

So, I am hereby telling that

nagging voice to take a hike!

(end of poems.)

This post has been inspired by Jingle’s Poetry Rally, week 18.  If you like poetry — Jingle is The Great Connector.

With love from Jannie, who is no longer depressed and is about to go blog hopping for the first time in 2 days!! Whoo-hoo!!!!

xoxoox

On 13 May 2010 at 7:19 pm

Tess The Bold Life said,

Cute Kid! Why do they have to grow up?!?

Oh and you’ll always write great songs and poems.

I can I can I think I can! Love ya.
    .-= Tess The Bold Life´s last blog ..The Bold Life: Interview with Super Power Coach =-.

On 13 May 2010 at 8:21 pm

hey, hey, hey
    whaddya say??

Tony, Tony, Tony — my one and only Tony — I don’t give a rat’s right ear your poem “makes no sense.” :) I LOVE it!!! Some of the best poetry exist simply to create cool imagery and connect things we probably never would have. No — YOUR poem far outshone mine in this post.

Hey fun Oinky!! Thanks. Sorry the second one was more of a bummer, but I guess we’re all human right? Even the funsters. :)

Ahhh wonderful Talon — thanks. Your support and encouagement lifts me up. Thank you!! I’m in new territory with the song, but am now faithful it will unfold as it will, with ease and without much agony. Oh — send me some cold. :) Actually, I think I’m easing into the idea of summer, and will be ready when it does hit in full.

Thank you Sweet Shakira, your words touch me to my heart of hearts. Such encouragement, my heart swells. You are right!! God knows best, and will unfold this for me. The best IS yet to come. You are so sweet. I thank you so so so much.

Dear Lovely Davina, melodies usually come so easily to me, when I’m not chasing them. So I best not chase this one too much. :) I do have some good verse lyrics I think, and that complete chorus I like so much. Ahhh, “just warming up” I LOVE that — I think I shall infuse my dreams with that thought tonight. Thank you!

Daisy, my sweet, yes I was so thrilled to find those Kerville pix on an old hard-drive. So many wonderful photos recovered. Ahhh, your encouragement and positive sweetness fills me with encouragement and hope. I think if I can just get this ONE song where I like it to enter in the contest, I’ll sail on through fine. So I’ll let is just float up. Jazzercise — whoo-hoo!! back corner — oh yessss, sister!! :)

gotta zip away for a while to have Kelly dictate her homework to me, and sit with her for some piano practice.

See the rest of you (and all of you!) soon!!

xoxoxoxoxo

On 13 May 2010 at 11:40 pm

Patricia said,

Oh aren’t you glad you figured out the closeness of that song and know that you can find a new melody line – ’cause you are great at crawling out of the pits and laughing all the way…
    All or nothing thinking is the true stink eye!

What a cute kid…love the pictures….enjoy the poem…when in doubt jazzercise and I agree get there early because the regulars are mean!

On 14 May 2010 at 6:12 am

Good morning, all you fine friends.

Miss Lovely Snaggle — Ahh, VHS, Jim and I have some of those too. My favorite is the Narrow Gauge Convention in 1996 — Colorado. Model rail roading. Such a lovely place in Durango. Yes, LOVE The Little Mermaid music. Kelly and I used to listen to the CD incessantly, and I never tired of it. As to “Let’s Drink Up The Stars…” I think I can, I think I can. I have sat with my guitar a bit, working out the notes in the chorus, and I think I can pick away at the chorus one too! Really? that line drifts through your brain daily??? It is a good concept to remmeber, and I might do well to heed the lesson within! :)

Miss Lovely Jingle — yes, I think I visited everybody! I enjoyed so many new poets to check out.

Hey Money Man, I think it depends on the size of the chicken, the gross number of chickens, and the going market rate at the time of sale depending on the geographical area?

Miss Lovely Shan — your yoga story made me laugh out loud! That’s the great thing about Jazzercise, music is playing so any loud flatulance is drowned out. Now Kung Fu — I only went to a few classes because the studio was so quiet I could never let a little wind rip. Not my cup of tea! :) Give me a back corner at jazzercise any day.

Miss Lovely Trish — ahh, thanks. yes, a real experience for sure. I really can’t to stylized steps either, it took me a good 6 monts to get all the basic jazzercise steps down — luckily there seem to be only so many of them, so once you get your chaussees, jazz squares, Temptation walks, etc down — you’re good to go. haunting old songs sound good to me. Like “The Autumn Leaves” and “My Funny Valentine?”

Oooo, the Celebrate Poet? Just as long as I don’t have to be the celibate poet — I’m good!! :)

Miss Lovely Sheila — some of the Jazz instructors are pretty chipper, yeah. I think it’s a requisite in their training manual. It’s harder than it looks I think, doing all that instructing, especially when they have to do it all in reverse facing the class. NOt my cup of tea to instruct, but I do love to fool around back in that corner! Do my own thing sometimes, variations of what the rest of the class is actually doing. Drink my beer. :)

Miss Lovely Gonecycling — hey! Great to see you here. I was very impressed with your site. Who knew that within the heart of a hard-core fitness enthusiast who trains every day lies the tender heart of a poet. :) Hey why not — poetry is for everyone!

Hey Wonderful Dustus, I’d never give YOU the stink eye, of course. :)

Hey fantastic Glenn — Kerrville is about 2 hours from here, a folk and wine festival that’s been going on since 1972, with a big song contest. Oh yes, BB jazzercises in the very corner of my corner! He only needs about 3 square inches to do his thing.

Hi again, Jingle. Thanks,I hope to check it out.

Vikum!!! I like your attitude!!!!! THANKS!

Miss Lovely Tess — I CAN, I CAN, I CAN!! That has a wonderful, wonderful ring to it indeed!! I’m gonna carry that in my breast pocket today. And everyday. THANK YOU!!

Miss Lovely Patricia — yeah, I was playing the song for some friends and one pointed out the similarities to the Under The Sea song. I’m glad he did! Yeah, the Jazzercise regulars, especially those who have been there for like, 20 years do like “their” spots. :) Getting there early to sit with eyes closed and meditate, or do stretches can be the longest 15 mintues of one’s life, but so worth the following hour! :)

On 14 May 2010 at 12:19 pm

Ji said,

you are perfect on week 18…
    cheers!
    😉

On 14 May 2010 at 1:08 pm

My Dear Jingle, I fear I am far far from perfect on more ways that you can ever know, but I do thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate your sweetness more than you may ever know!!

xoxoox

On 14 May 2010 at 1:41 pm

If you ask me, Under the Sea is too generic anyway. You wouldn’t want to sound like THAT, right?

On 14 May 2010 at 10:00 pm

Mia @ Finding Balance said,

Jazzercise. Yes. Something I tried once and could not do again. Good for you that you are.

I had to delete what I just wrote because it wasn’t “G” rated. Not even sure it was PG-13, so I’m just gonna leave it at that.

*ahem*

Sometimes it feels as though all the words have leaked out of our brains with nothing coming in to replace them. Totally get that. I think you acknolwege it (you have), and stop trying. It will come to you when you least expect it. Much like a love and a life with a property / apartment manager that hits you outta the blue (wink).
    .-= Mia @ Finding Balance´s last blog ..Controlling? =-.

On 14 May 2010 at 11:59 pm

Ahhhh, Alice Audrey, THAT is music to my ears, thanks. I am writing this comment a couple days after this post went up, and I am thrilled to announce I HAVE come up with a melody I think can work, with a few tweaks here and there. Why did I doubt myself?? I feel kinda dumb now. But I’ll throw in a smile because it’s all behind me now! :) And another smile for your friendship. :)

Mia !! Yeah, that’s it — the brain seems emptied out sometimes. But it fills back up when it is ready to — when it is darn ready to. Well, since I’ve labeled this ass kicking and I have said the occasional stronger naughty word on this blog — I’m AT LEAST PG-13 here, so let ‘er fly, if you wish. :) Oh and Mia, as I just mentioned above to Alice Audreey — I think teh melody has come!! EXACTLY as you say it — when I was least expecting it — it floated in.

You guys — well actually girls — but you know what I mean… :) are so awesome.

Love you both! And so many other commenters here.

xoxox

On 15 May 2010 at 1:41 am

cinderkeys said,

I’m glad your replacement melody found you. Probably just waiting for an opportune moment.
    .-= cinderkeys´s last blog ..KXCI: Broadcasting awareness =-.

On 15 May 2010 at 2:41 am

Hi Jannie .. what fantastic photos of Kelly half a life ago!! Jazzercise sounds a little much .. but I can see you doing it – & Kelly!

Your creativity will return .. melody and words coming together like fine wine and spaghetti … lots more for later on! Night skies as you trip the light fantastic – lines and tunes bursting forth ..

Kerrville looks fun .. Have a great weekend .. hugs Hils
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Stirling Castle – with all its history, defences, wall paintings and tapestries .. and the Museum of Modern Art, NYC =-.

On 15 May 2010 at 7:06 am

Natalia said,

Jannie, it’s just a spot that’s near and dear to my heart. But it feels like mine as I park there 99.9% of the time! :)
    .-= Natalia´s last blog ..Fun with Pool Noodles! =-.

On 15 May 2010 at 10:47 am

Hi ladies!

Cinderkeys, that was it — exactly as you state! I should’ve known better than to worry. And will not again. EVER!! :)

Hilary, yes I was so pleased to find those photos on my recovered hard-drive. I really love Jazzercise when I have lots of spaace to move in! :) And the friendships developed are the best! One big sisterhood. And since you’ve already read my post after this one — you know I FOUND MY MELODY!! I will never ever doubt myself again. :) I hope you are doing well too, dear Hils.

Natalia! That’s awesome you get that spot almost all the time!! Those moments are part of what makes life such a wonderful series of adventure blessings. :)

On 16 May 2010 at 10:42 am

Ana Goncalves said,

What a truly delightful set of poems!
    I’m happy you are feeling better.
    All these experiences are part of what makes us.
    So good to hear from you on my blog.
    I shall be replying soon.
    .-= Ana Goncalves´s last blog ..Your beauty in this world =-.

On 16 May 2010 at 2:17 pm

Dear Sweet Ana — ALWAYS a joy to have you here.

Your comment is a poem, and a beautiful one at that, thank you. I love how you say these experiences (challenges) are part of what makes us. That is so true. These times of introspsection are what propel us to new heights of awareness and growth — yay. And I am just go grateful to share my downs as well as ups with you all. I will try to keep the moments here much much more UP than down tho, okay?? :)

On 25 May 2010 at 4:30 pm

J.D. Meier said,

Yeah, tell that nagging voice who’s the boss.

I think it’s hard for anything to stay out of your reach given the way you’re always growing.
    .-= J.D. Meier´s last blog ..Why We Make Bad Decisions – Errors in Odds and Errors in Value =-.

On 25 May 2010 at 6:07 pm

Ahhh, J.D. I ought to tell that nagging voice to stay good FOR GOOD!!! I think I’m catching onto that now.

But most importantly… know that the “all or nothing” attitude, as Patricia so WISELY points out — is the true stink eye!!!

And that all life is a song to share with great friends like you all! :)