Is It Okay To Be Gay? (A poem in 55 words)

Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 9 September 2010 @ 6:52 PM 60 Comments

Rainbow_girl_Sept_9_2010

Is it okay to be gay?

Of course! Why wouldn’t it be, if you are?

Is that 55 words yet?

No but seriously,

All you really need to know is love is love,

the great equal opportunity rainbow refractor

of well-meaning hearts and minds everywhere.

Love — always the way to go, in sun and rain and snow.

****************************************

Thus sayeth Jannie in a  Friday Flash Fiction in 55 Words hosted weekly by the G-Man.

Who is the G-Man?  Galen in Michigan — a fun, nice, sensitive, burly, ass-kicking blogger.

Rainbow_girl_two_Sept_9_2010

(Photos of Umbrella Girl — my shiniest rainbow ever, taken this morning.)

Umbrella Girl turning 9 years old this Saturday!!

Hope you will pop back in for her special birthday post — it’ll be extra cute!

rainbow_kite_smaller

kite_in_tree_smaller jazmeene, kan pleze you clime the tree to resskue my new kite?  thanks yoo!

On 11 September 2010 at 12:09 am

Ahhh, so nice to be back here with you all.

Kelly’s birthday post is all ready to go now.

And I kicked buttocks on guitar today. I mean I did some great practice — whoo-hoo. I’m back in the studio in a couple weeks. I am SO busting out of my musical box.

Darlings, I’m not sure how many comments I’ll get to tonight but let me give it the olde college try.

Dearest Daisy, yes, she’s a cutie. Unbrella photos taken at her school. I had my new rainbow site buttons already up, she had that umbrella in the car and I thought it would make for a great photo to match. The poem actually came to me later in the morning.

Dearest G-Man — I couldn’t believe I was first, I actually felt almost too bold, but bold is how things get done some times, eh? :) Maybe I’ll be first again next week! :) And put up a funny one. (You rock, of course!)

Dearest Brian — ahh, my song — my highly illustrious song video?? :) Yes, I havne’t always known how to love, but I think I’m getting pretty darn good at it the more I practice. I do realize love — NOT Coke — is it! :)

Dearest Davina, having already read Lance’s comment below about it not being beet juice, I think it must be grape juice. But perhaps fermented a day or two. :) After all those yucky miscarriages and such, I think of her always as my shiniest rainbow. Can’t believe she’s going to be NINE!!! OMG. How? How is this possible??

Dearest Monkey Man of Columbia River basalt cliffs (loving your series!) See my first comment (to Daisy) as to how this post jumped out of nowhere. Umbrella Girl tie-dyed that shirt at a birthday party a few years ago. It used to fit like a dress on her, now just a shirt. :)

Dearest KB — love really IS all we need. Well, and donuts too! :) But seriously, love is all. I used to think that was trite, but I know it’s the one truth. Motherhood and blogging have opened my eyes and heart to SO much greatness.

Dearest Fireblossom, well funny meeting a nice gal like you in a den of funiquity like this! :) Do you like your new button?? That reminds me, a new one should go up for some other unsuspecting blogger soon. :)

Dearest Clean & Crazy – that umbrella was purchased at a local H.E.B. supermarket for, I think $12.99, plus tax. Maybe $13.99. It can also be seen in this post, when my pix were a mere 740 px wide. http://www.janniefunster.com/2010/06/17/dear-girl-who-got-your-cast-off-today/ That was was a hard day because she couldn’t swim with her cast,let alone go in the water. I wish you much luck in your rainbow umbrella adventure!

And now for a little water break…

xoxoxoxoxo

On 11 September 2010 at 12:35 am

Dearest Sara, you crack me up. How do you live with YOU, and your various talents?? Yes, you get to watch her grow up, and guess what — I have this great plan to next year when she’s 10 showcase her birth day, then on her 11th show case her 1st birthday, on her 12th, her 2nd, and so on, and so on. I think I have either pictures and / or video of every birthday! Her 6th party was amazing. But I think I digress here. :)

Dearest Mike — amen on your comment, Brother! Amen. And oh, my goodness — you did write a poem indeed!!! Awesome. Must be the Rainbow Connection working it’s muse magic. :)

Dearest Moon, ahhhh, thanks! You are a pretty darn special love conveyor yourself, as I bet you have passed on to your singing daughter. NINE years! That will be a hard one to get used to.

Dearest Ruth — hi! Awesome of you to pop in here — thanks! Those are just iPhone pix, but not bad in a pinch, I guess. It is an awesome umbrella! Colors are one of the greatest gifts to the world — totally!!

Dearest Katherie, love is a good good thing in all its many forms of light.

Dearest Talon — I know, it’s after midnight now and she is already 9. Or can she be yet, if she was born at 2:10 p.m. ? I know — she had just turned 7 when I first started this blog! My baby!!! :)

Dearest Alice Audrey — did I mention I was off computer for a whole 4 hour stretch on day recently?? Yep!! Her birthday post will keep, drop in when you can! Hope you’ll have a great day, off computer. Going to the Spam museum again?? :)

Dearest Carmen — thanks! I’m sure you’ll have lots of grand daughters to dote upon. And awesome about your book!!! That is really a cool achievement indeed. I look forward to checking it out! I’ll be over to your blog when I can.

Dear Daft Scots Lass (who I find anything but daft, actually.) I actually started to write a song called Rainbow Girl about her on the way home after taking these pix at school that morning. I kid thee not!!!

Dearest Anthony — yep, with Love all things go much much easier.

Dudes — I have to get to bed. I have songs to write in my sleep, then get out to the store early for a baloon bouquet and chocolate chips for her pancake before Birthday Girl arises.

I’ll for sure get to the rest of these AWESOME comments when I can.

On 11 September 2010 at 1:54 am

Hi Jannie .. love is all .. care and concern for everyone – respect and acceptance .. it’s fine.

Fantastic pics .. Happy Birthday Kelly girl .. it’s your day here .. still sleeping your end .. and Mum is going to be up bright and early organising things ..

BB – you’re right your jannie’s blog is a littel brite .. must be a birfv-day .. wotch de kite and climbing trees – climb safely down … and hang on tightly to them bloons … where are your sunglasses .. you need those for Funsterland today ..

Enjoy the party day … xoxo Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Emoticons- Book Packaging- ebooks what was the future- is now the past =-.

On 11 September 2010 at 2:10 am

joanny said,

Oh your simple little 55er is powerful indeed, it engaged a very profound dialog amongst fellow bloggers, —

the bottom line is “Love one another”

Happy birthday to your littlest rainbow darling.

Joanny

On 11 September 2010 at 9:25 am

Dearest Thom, it sucks that it’s easier said than done. Yep,luckily there are lots of really great people to be friends with, love and support can come from many sources. Maybe in time all walls of prejudice will be kicked down forever!! (and thanks for the buttocks visual) :) :) :)

Dearest Hootin’ Anni, “judge not lest thee be judged” I believe is a good way to go. Except — I do judge when people try to hurt others, I judge the behavior of meaness, bullying and / or just not being nice as being unacceptable.

Dearest Akelamalu, awesome Akelamalu — umbrella $12.99. It’s now officially mine as of this morning — she traded me for my burgundy colored one which is smaller than the rainbow one. Great trade for me, I think!

Dearest Denise, yes, a nice fresh up-to-the minute photo!! :) And her birthday one in the newer post, I took yesterday afternoon. We do like to keep things in the NOW here in Funsterland. :)

Dearest Vodka Logic! Wow, is that really YOU? Welcome! :) Thanks, your words fall on appreciative ears.

Dearest Dot, I haven’t turned on the news lately. Good call on that, I say!

Dearest Eric — yo!! I think the lesson is acceptance. And love. I’ll tell the cutie pie you wish her a happy day today. I went out before she awoke and bought here a baloon bouquet and she’s been carrying it from room to room ever since she got up. Funny kid. :)

Dearest Mona — love is love — you got that right, Sistah! I think overall hearts and minds are opening more and more to all kinds of love, and I like that!! (Birthday Girl over singing at her computer at the moment.)

Dearest Evita. Evita! Well, you should know about living messages, since your whole life is one! Beautiful words, as usual. Thank you so much.

Dearest Lance of the non-beet-juice persuasion… :) I LOVE beets, have I ever mentioned that? Mom makes pickeled beets to make a grown girl cry. Ah, now I am crying a bit missing Mom’s beets. I also like beet souffle, beet and beef sandwiches, and beet/lemon pie. :)

Dearest Lynn — love rocks is a bumper sticker on your heart, isn’t it, you lovely one?? :)

Dearest Mama Zen — funny but Kelly is going to a rock climbing / bowling birthday party for one of her little friends today. And her own party is tomorrow.

Dearest Alice Audrey, never heard the term “fag hag” before. You made me Google. One of the saddest parts of me is my friend Nic dying of a heart attack. He was an awesome, awesome person who just happened to be gay. He died over 10 years ago, and I still can’t believe he’s gone. And man — could he sing the old jazz standards. Too bad I didn’t sing well then, would’ve been fun to duet with him.

Dearest Caity — thanks. So great to see you again. Hope you are well!? Been thinking of you.

Dearest lovely everybody else, I have to go now.

I’ll talk to you all later!!

On 11 September 2010 at 9:42 am

Nessa said,

Let the rainbow shine!
    .-= Nessa´s last blog ..Weekend Funnies – Martha or Maxine =-.

On 11 September 2010 at 4:00 pm

Jingle said,

wow,
    gay is cool,
    especially when you play
    the game of being gay,
    love your 55.
    Happy Saturday!

my 55

On 11 September 2010 at 4:01 pm

Jingle said,

Sorry for the delay.
    Hope that your day as cheery as the Kelly’s smile,
    she is an angel.

On 12 September 2010 at 1:42 am

TheWeyrd1 said,

The sentiment is well received…heh Happy Birthday to Kelly too!

On 12 September 2010 at 1:43 am

TheWeyrd1 said,

I think I typed my blog address wrong. Not that I’ve posted anything for many months…heh

On 13 September 2010 at 4:58 am

sheila said,

Why of course!
    Such a colorful post!

On 13 September 2010 at 8:46 am

Tess The Bold Life said,

Happy Birthday to Kelly! Rainbow family! On this one I can’t get the second photo.
    My gay nephew came to visit from St Louis last week. He had a 1200 camera and we took stunning photos. Should be in a magazine that guy and his camera. Gay people bring joy to life like no one else knows how to replicate.
    .-= Tess The Bold Life´s last blog ..Creative Juices and Blogging Superstars =-.

On 13 September 2010 at 4:46 pm

I’ve been lucky in that most of my friends are not only alive, but in touch.

On 13 September 2010 at 8:49 pm

Thomma Lyn said,

I adore this poem — you just can’t say it any better than this: “great equal opportunity rainbow refractor.” Love is love, and that’s all there is to it. :)

On 14 September 2010 at 1:11 pm

Dearest Jeanne, your comment touched me to the heart when it came in the other day, and touched me deeply again when I read it just now, from the sadness over the hurt caused gays for persecution for who they are. Every human is equal, and dererves no ridicule for anything they were born with. And you touched me with laughter again as I read the last quote!! :) I like to think maybe your friend you went to the wedding with did find enough love and understanding to have died in peace. And I hope the same for your friend’s daughter, that she will find loving acceptance. Sounds like you are a great example for tolerance and I am lucky to call you friend.

Dearest William, thanks! It’s been so long since I saw this post you made me look twice to see what the pix were. :) yes, — some bright, eh??

Oh. My Freaking. Heck!! Glenn Buttkus!? Is that you?? Wow, no more BB punk rock gravatar for you! :) Awesome. But you’ve lost too much weight, non?? Lovely comment, thanks.

Dearest Teresa, sometimes we have to get serious to get light again, right? :) Thanks for your comment, as ususal.

Dearest Secret Agent Woman, thank you very much. Love is love, Aimee Mann wrote that in a song I like a lot. You ever heard it?

Dearest Someone Is Special — and YOU are special. Sounds like we are on the same paths with these 55s — yours of true love.

Dearest JoyChristin — wow, I LOVE your poem, just beautiful. Go for those dreams with a loving heart always. THAT and you so totally rock.

Dearest Hilary “respect and acceptance” sounds like a very very good way to go for me. I had the idea of trying some kind of rainbow header for a while. I think it’s cute!! But what shall I move onto next? Seaside creatures, leaves of trees, dark blue and terra cotta petites fleures? Endless — these design possibilities, yay!! i loves me some Photoshop (well, a Photoshop knock-off, but still a darn good program.)

Thank you Dearest Joanny — lovely words. And sorry — I’m a bit behind (story of my life) :) on reading blogs. But I love your blogging. And your words, thanks. Love one another is the way to go.

Dearest Nessa — Amen, Sis-tah! And let a smile be your umbrella — and laughing out loud even when you dont feel like it — is the best medicine ever.

Dearest Jingle, the game of being gay, eh? Any game where we’re loving and respecting others, and living wiht laughter is a great way to play!!

Dearest Weyrd One, you still popping in here in October? Glad you received the sentiment in the loving and accepting way it was meant. We are all people, let’s be nice to each other.

Dearest Sheila — I remember the headstones of the 2 gay guys on your post, that was so sweet. I’m sure they loved well, and wish the same for all under God’s loving creation.

Dearest Tess, the first photo I liked best, anyway. :) Ooo, as a Jannie who is soon to move towards a good camera, this word of “1200” draws me in very much. I’ll be camera crazy for a while as I see which one I want!!

Dearest Alice Audrey — that’s cool! It’s weird but losing a friend touched me in an almost stronger way than losing close relatives — it’s a different kind of grief. But that’s life. We all will pass on, but meet again. So why not make the most of this moment to love!!

Dearest Sweet Thomma Lyn, whom I love, miss, and think of sweetly. You are still as awesome as ever!!! No, you’re now officially Beyond Super-Awesome!! I love when you pop in here. Sorry I’ve been more busy than usual to read wonderful blogs (like yours) as I’d like to.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 14 September 2010 at 4:33 pm

Jeanne said,

Every human is equal. Amen, sister!

Jeanne
    xo

On 15 September 2010 at 9:03 pm

Henway said,

What exactly is love though? That word is so overused and sometimes I get confused on what is love…

But there certainly aint nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing.
    .-= Henway´s last blog ..How to cope with acne =-.

On 17 September 2010 at 2:06 pm

Dearest Jeanne — amen on your amen, Woman! We are all equal,and any perceived negative feelings towards another is a reflfection of what’s going on within US.

Wow — I’m pretty smart sometimes! :)

Dearest Welcome Henway. Hello! Love to me is doing something nice for someone, even if it feels like a bit of work. Funny thing is — any love we give — good deeds, good thoughts, good words, comes back to us tenfold!! That’s my story and I shall continue to stick to it!! :)

xoxoxoox

On 18 September 2010 at 1:05 pm

I just realized what I thought was a typo for “one day” was actually “each day”. I was away from keyboard because I drove 170 miles to hang out with a friend. Spent the night.

On 18 September 2010 at 4:07 pm

Hey AA — I hadn’t even noticed any typo, speed reading me. Bet you had a ball with your friend! I know mine are so precious to me. And make me laugh, which is all.