To All Mothers & Mothering Types Everywhere

Family | Posted by Jannie on 8 May 2011 @ 5:55 AM 39 Comments

kellys_christening

Funny how sometimes when you’re looking for one photo
another will appear. (The same is true for music cds and socks.)
There is always something wonderful waiting to discover.

I was looking for the photo of Jim’s mom, Ann, sitting outside
our front door on a white plastic chair about twenty years ago,
but found her instead in this one at Kelly’s Christening in N.S.

(That’s Nova Scotia  in the life of this humble blogging gal.)
My plan is to repost the photo below, highlighting some moms.
To all mothers and mothering types everywhere — THANK YOU!

Happy Mother’s Day!!

mothers_day_bunny

kellys_christening_the_moms

Jim’s mom, Ann was 95 in this photo, and lived to be 97.

Happy to report my mom and all her 4 sisters — Aunt Loy, Aunt Inez, Aunt Freda and Aunt Tilly are well and happy.

My sister’s “little” girl is now 11, and her son Austin, is 5.

And, yes, my sister is a fox! And currently single, way up there in Canada-land.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 8 May 2011 at 6:19 am

Fireblossom said,

Happy Mother’s Day, Jannie!

On 8 May 2011 at 6:23 am

Lance said,

You are such an amazing, love-filled, and caring soul. What a gift that is to your family, to Kelly, and to everyone who is touched in some way by your beautiful love and light.

Happy Mother’s Day to you, dear friend.

Much, much love,
    Lance

xoxxoo

On 8 May 2011 at 9:17 am

Linda said,

Happy Mother’s Day! Pictures really do jump start our memories don’t they?

On 8 May 2011 at 9:55 am

G-Man said,

Jannie…Happy Mothers Day.
    You are such a special gift to the world.

On 8 May 2011 at 12:26 pm

J.D. Meier said,

Happy Mother’s Day!

You always know how to make photos fun.

On 8 May 2011 at 2:34 pm

Fireblossom! And a happy one to you too. Did Bosco make you breakfast in bed? I actually made breakfast for us. Jim said he’d make it on Father’s Day. :)

Lance, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Do you know how big my head is after your compliments? :) And I just KNEW you’d be popping by for this post — you are good with holidays and such!

Linda, thank you my dear. Photos, light the corners of my mind, to those misty watercolor memories. :)

Thank you, G-Man. You are a special gift too! And don’t ever change, not that you could.

Hey, J.D.! Thanks. Appreciate it!

xoxoxoxo

On 8 May 2011 at 5:02 pm

Caity said,

Happy Mother’s Day to you, Jannie! What a sweet photo! 😀

On 8 May 2011 at 8:02 pm

KB said,

Happy Mother’s Day!

On 8 May 2011 at 9:08 pm

Aimee said,

Happy Mother’s Day!

On 8 May 2011 at 10:31 pm

Jeanne said,

What a great, great photo! I love it! I’ve seen pictures of your sister before but never realized how alike you look. Swap that dark hair out for blond and you two look a lot alike.

Happy Mother’s Day, Jannie!

Jeanne
    xo

On 9 May 2011 at 6:30 am

ayala said,

Happy Mother’s Day-hope you had a great one. Great photo :) xo

On 9 May 2011 at 7:38 am

sheila said,

Great photo! Beautiful family!

On 9 May 2011 at 7:42 am

What a lovely family! A beautiful photo. I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day, Jannie.

On 9 May 2011 at 11:08 am

Thank, all you beautful, beautiful ladies!!

Love to you all.

Jeanne– yes, quite a resemblance between me and Rosie. She did have blonde hair once or twice.

xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 9 May 2011 at 11:32 am

Vered | Blogger for Hire said,

Nice! Hope you had a good day yesterday.

On 9 May 2011 at 1:45 pm

LL Cool Joe said,

Hope you had a lovely Mothers Day and got spoilt rotten!!

On 9 May 2011 at 2:10 pm

Dr. J said,

That’s a wonderful family photo, Jannie! So I guess your sister is the Pippa of the family :-)

On 9 May 2011 at 9:44 pm

Patricia said,

Hope it was a great Mother’s Day yesterday – and 9 years later! Fun pictures and nice that you know who the people are..

On 9 May 2011 at 11:10 pm

Rosie said,

Happy Mother’s Day sister xox

On 10 May 2011 at 9:30 am

Chrisy said,

Look at that large, beautiful family! All there to celebrate Kelly’s Christening… and she looks perfectly christened! Hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day! XO

On 10 May 2011 at 4:45 pm

K said,

All beautiful ladies! (And your sister is definitely a fox.)

Happy Mother’s Day to you! Hope it was great.

On 10 May 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hey, everybody — thanks!

I’ve had a bit of a dumb old headache, but much better now and off to read some blogs — finally!

On 11 May 2011 at 8:22 am

Natalia said,

Janie!

I find it true with underwear too! :)

I hope that you had a great mother’s day!!!

xo

On 12 May 2011 at 4:06 am

Wonderful old shot! Sorry didn’t get here sooner- was hoping for time on the faster machine…
    Hope your Mom’s day was specacular!

On 12 May 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi Natalia! :) :) I hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day too!!

Hey Snaggle. Like Steve McQueen, all you need’s a faster machine?? :)

xoxooxoxox

On 12 May 2011 at 4:30 pm

Ana Goncalves said,

Hello Jannie,

A very Happy Mothers day to you. :) xx

How are you?

What a very beautiful picture, remembering Kelly’s Christening.

Thank you for sharing this special moment with us.

It’s amazing how time flies by.

Hope you are well, and enjoying Spring.

Love xx

Ana

On 13 May 2011 at 5:22 pm

Moondustwriter said,

Jannie
    What a great family
    hope you had a great Mother’s Day
    when I take a break I really go all out
    but not enough to not send my love to special people

Love and hugs

On 13 May 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi Dear Ana — I LOVE how you come in here and comment on several posts — so much fun!! Yes, time flies — yet we still have ALL the time and love in the world to go!!!

Moon – love and hugs to YOU always too. Blogging takes time, and real Life takes time. It’s all good, and we stay in each others’ hearts. always I’m so grateful to Jingle for introducing me to you!!

xoxoox

On 15 May 2011 at 12:57 am

Hi Jannie .. what a glorious photo – fantastic to see .. love family gatherings .. and your labelling made so much sense! Good to be able to work my way round looking everyone up .. thanks ..

Fantastic Jim’s mother made it all the way to Nova Scotia for the Christening Day .. and look at her now .. nine years on.

Great – thanks so much for showing us .. cheers Hilary xoxoxoxo

On 15 May 2011 at 10:05 am

Dearest Hilary of the babbling brook, yep, I thought I did a great job of the labelling too!!!!

Now,my dear, Jim’s Mom lived there in that town — and all MY relatives and friends came the 6-hour trip for the celebration!! Do I have a SUPER bunch of peeps,or what????

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 15 May 2011 at 12:14 pm

Well that’s wonderful .. that you all went to her – does that mean Jim’s family was in Nova Scotia too at one time .. I think I’d always thought you were Canadian and Jim was Texan .. but at the moment I can muddle anything up!

You certainly have a fantastic bunch of rellies .. and peeps that’s for sure ..

Cheers for now – trying to catch my tail .. I know cats usually do that – but this one is trying to catch up – or something somewhat desperately .. see you shortly .. byeeeee oxoxox Hilreeeee

On 21 May 2011 at 12:32 pm

So, dearest Hilary, Jim was born and raised in Nova Scotia, where I met him at his mother’s house, which we now pay the bank to one day own free and clear. :) That is in the town of Mahone Bay where this photo was taken.

MY family all hail from 6 hours away in the neighboring province of New Brunswick. They were lovely and trekked for the Christening.

Jim was living here in Texas when I met him — in this very house we have here, that I am in as I pen this. He was up visiting his mom.

Got it?? :) :)

xoxooxoxoxooxxo

On 21 May 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hi Jannie .. well that’s clearish .. what were you doing in Jim’s mother’s house – when you didn’t know him? and it’s 6 hours away from your own family ..

Oh well … such is life .. I’m a- learning .. lol Hilree xoxoxxoo

On 21 May 2011 at 2:15 pm

Okay, Hilary let me give you the scoop, a more indepth one anyway.

In the mid-1800s my mom’s ancestors and dad’s ancestors came from Ireland to settle along the north shore of New Brunswick (N.B.)(an Eastern Canadian province.)

Jim’s dad’s ancestors came from Germany to Lunenburg Co, Nova Scotia. (N.S.) His mom’s people came from Scotland perdominantanly. And I’m too lazy to correct my spelling there (but not too lazy to explain it, apparently,) :)

Anyhoo…

Jim was born in Bridgewater, N.S. in 1942.

I was born in N.B. in 1964.

I moved to N.S. in 1989 with my then (first) husband.

I met Jim while he was up visiting his mom.

My ex and I were renting a house of Jim’s

I pretty quickly ran off with Jim — very lucky me. And Jim too, I hope!

Oh, but getting back to where Jim had been…

Ahhh,

from N.S. to New Jersey where he naturalized in 1979. I think 1979?

Then Hawaii before Texas.

And here we are.

All Bob’s-our-uncle, and whatnot!!

Clearer? A bit? Muddy still??

Jim’s dad was an Anglican minister, he was posted in New Jersey, left N.S.

Died of a heart attack when Jim was only 22, the year I was born.

Jim’s two brothers, and their wives live in Nova Scotia today.

Tho his younger bro had been in Spain for a while. Then married a fine Welsh gal and they lived there together for quite some years.

Oh my goodness — remind me to tell you about the whale watching tale from August, 1990 — when Jim and I first dated, and such!!! Oh, yeah, it’s a darn good one.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 23 May 2011 at 1:20 am

Hi Jannie .. well I did catch up quite quickly .. took a little re-reading .. but thanks – good to know the back drop .. the NS, New B and Texas – was a little muddling – now I understand. Interesting .. I love hearing how people travelled to Canada, or USA .. and having the bravery to leave Europe – being anywhere I guess must be quite challenging 200 years ago ..

Thanks for filling me in and letting me know – great and one day I hope we meet up somewhere along the way – I’m sure we will .. big hugs xoxoxxo Hilree

On 26 May 2011 at 2:17 pm

Hilreeeeeeee, I’m back!!

Well, I’m glad you got the story now, or at least the gist of most of it. And interesting word ‘gist.’ Gist for the olde blog-post mill? :) :)

Yes, I guess they had to be a bit brave to cross the wild and windy pond amidst hunger, disease and not knowing what would befall them in the new land. hardy souls.

Yes, my dear — I too am SURE we WILL meet up, you and I!

now, about those lyrics….. must “work” 30 more minutes non-stop.

xoxooxoxoxo

On 26 May 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Jannie .. gist for in law! ‘real ground of action; etc … substance or essence of matter’ … you know I’m always so pleased when I look a word up and find I’ve used it correctly ..

so essence of the old-blog post mill .. I guess would be correct too!

Hope the lyrics and songs have been successfully accomplished or are being while I type .. cherry bye for now .. Hilree .. oooh cherries are just coming out! Delicious .. xoxoxoxox

PS – story about Mum on my Judy Croome post on my blog – it’s got a prowling leopard ..

On 29 May 2011 at 5:11 am

Hilary you are so smart!!

Cherries are tasty in all their ways to eat. I was taking some for the headache I had 2 weeks ago, but got pretty sick of eating them after a few days. :)

xoxoxooxox

On 29 May 2011 at 6:02 am

Hi Jannie .. not sure if you tried 1/2 or 1/4 tsp sugar in some tea .. that helped my headaches .. and I sometimes use it now .. I don’t do sugar in tea or coffee .. but it seems to give the body something it’s missing and the headache passes ..

Cherries are so moorish .. delicious .. just about cherry season here .. big hugs to you all and honky tonk piano time .. fun!! xoxoxxoxo Hilree