The Rooster In My Coffee

Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 11 October 2011 @ 5:55 AM 63 Comments

joni_seagull

A rooster floats on my coffee

then morphs into hair like Joni’s

in her painting from long ago.

The rooster reappears wearing

a wedding dress and one Roman

sandal with a dangling strap.

The rooster is not chicken.

He leaps from my mug to the

kitchen table and dances.

I’ve not seen pirouettes and

rond de jambes that fine since

the winter Ballerina Jane and I

gambled in a Russian bakery

by night and ached in tall towers

of boredom and bones by day.

Rooster likes my Highland fling.

Is impressed I suffer only three

nicks during my sword dance.

We cavort around the house

until he darts out the back door,

over the cat, under the fence,

and back to the magical mist

he danced from. Gone forever

but always with me in spirit,

especially on mornings like this

when distant lattes crow and

the trees are all playing guitars.

joni_tw

dverse_poets_pub

Have a happpy day.

And [edit] wow, I made it to #10 on Mr. Linky this week!!  :)  :)

Does dVerse Poetry ROCK, or what??!

FYI… those are the front and back covers of Joni’s first record, her own art.

rooster_with_bunny

On 12 October 2011 at 7:39 pm

Anna Montgomery said,

Thank you dear heart for your ever so kind words over at my place. A wonderful way to return home from Renaissance choir practice – don’t know if you saw but Victoria returned to reply to your hilarity. Hope you have a lovely rest of your day – sending heaps of smiles, guitar picks, and some extra goodness your way :)!

On 12 October 2011 at 10:22 pm

Dearest Hilary, Hi again!! :) Sound and light waves. Sonds very very interesting! Nice to hear about your mom, sounds like a good day. I’m almost to bed now, and you’re fast asleep, byt will be up with your tea rooster as I slumber still.

Ahhh, Dearest Mrs. Mediocrity. Well, your button really pleases ME, and so glad to her it meets with your approval too. Your photo was a shoe-in. I hope it adequately says howyou are so NOT mediocre. You are far far above good.

Hi Hedgewitch, Dearest of course. I knew you were a Joni kinda gal!! I hear some people keeps crows as pets, the one-stepping kind. But their jewelry usually all goes missing.

Hi Dearest Theresa, the coffee I make at home is Altura, Organic. In the green can. Usually, that is. I picked up some Folgers recently. Not so good. Can’t wait to go back to the Cafe Altura — and hopefully the poems will still be inspired.

Hi Dearest Anna, yay — you didn’t think my recent comment at your place were words of a complete NUT!! :) Renaissance choir practice — sounds fun, and worthwhile. Are you going to a Ren fair? So glad you told me of Victoria’s reply. I’ll zip on back over as soon as I post this!!! :) Oh, and I NEED those guitar picks — I bought about 20 light pink ones at .25 each a few months ago, and I’m down to only 2 or 3 now, oy.

xoxooxxoxo

On 12 October 2011 at 11:13 pm

I like the rhythm and feel of this one.

On 13 October 2011 at 2:04 am

I never did have that album. Fun, doodly artwork on it- to inspire such a wild rooster word dance.
    Thanks for the Good poem

On 13 October 2011 at 2:31 am

Ravenblack said,

A fun poem to read. :) Lovely images and clever lines. Trees playing guitars. :)

On 13 October 2011 at 7:19 am

James Rainsford said,

What a wonderful weaving of words.

On 13 October 2011 at 4:15 pm

Where is Jannie today?

Just popping in from her non-blogging adventures.

Jannie will be back here happily later.

xoxoxoxoxo

On 13 October 2011 at 5:26 pm

Sara said,

I loved seeing this album cover again. I remember how it dazzled me as her music moved me.

The poem was a Jannie “magical mystery tour” and I loved it for it’s whimsical feel.

It reminded me of my “flower child” times. We wore our jeans paper thin, our hair long, some with beads woven into it. We believed we had the power to change the world and the songs that would herald the way. We smoked things we shouldn’t have and were wild in ways that would have made our mothers blush. I still have my rose colored glasses. They’re round and the glass doesn’t stay in, but I remember wearing them dancing barefooted with friends in a park, watching a rosy pink world spin.

I thank you for this trip down memory lane for me. AND you know I loved the poem:~)

On 13 October 2011 at 5:57 pm

Why, thank you dearest Alice Audrey In Montana, in a new house with nice tall windows… I read it again here at Starbucks where there is now nothing in my decaf but cream, sugar and love.

Hey, Snag. Did you have many Joni’s? I know you have ONE Jannie album. :) And my second one will be free to YOU of, course. All you sweeties who dipped inot your wallets so sweetly for the first one, will get the second free – autographed, if you wish!!

Hi RavenBlack. Soemtimes I’d rather be Deep And Completely Meaningful than clever, but maybe my next poem will be just that!! :) :) Not disrespect to your kind words, of course — I do appreciate them. But I think I’m ready to go deeply earth-shatteringly amazing with my next poem — one about cats.

Dearest James, woven like Carole King’s “Tapestry?” “Court & Spark?” I wish!! Maybe one day in my songs!! Thank you most humbly and appreciatively…

Sara! I know what you mean — to listen to her AMAZING music while also holding her art in your hands and drinking it all in is heaven!! Magical Mystery Tour. :) :) Yep!! Just call me “Jannie Lennon.” :) :) Ah, who’s to say we should not smoke stuff???!! A little of what is available in the garden, once in a while, and taken with love. :) And paper thin jeans — sound wonderful, like silk. But the arse would wear out pretty-fast I bet? :) Mine would, knowing how active my behind is with sitting, and such. Which would leave nice spots for big Smiley Face and peace sign patches to sew on!!

xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

On 14 October 2011 at 11:26 am

Bryce Christiansen said,

Beautiful imagery. I know I probably imagined something different from many other readers, but it was a fascinating story played out in my mind. I pictured the chaos some mornings bring and the energy and motions we go through getting ready for the day and that feeling of fulfillment we have afterwards.

Great read.

Bryce

On 14 October 2011 at 1:08 pm

Patricia of Patricias Wisdom said,

I am so happy that the rooster was not chicken.

Dazzled by your words and Joni Mitchell’s art

It just makes music and the sun break through the clouds

On 14 October 2011 at 2:58 pm

You got it, Bryce!!!! After the alarm goes off at 6:30, my foggy head gets the pancakes made, the child up and all that goes with her getting on the bus for 7:15. Then I make my coffee. And look out on the day unfolding.

Dearest Patricia — how funny — you were the ONLY commenter who spoke about that line — which is about my favorite in the whole poem! Glad it resonated with you. I imagine it’s the Canadian in you that found it funny. :) Ahhh, thanks. If (and when) I meet Joni one day I’ll tell her you like her art on this!! BEen thinking about you a LOT, and hoping you are well.

xooxoxoxox

On 14 October 2011 at 11:30 pm

Jeanne said,

I just love Joni Mitchell but you know what? I love YOU even more!

Jeanne

On 15 October 2011 at 12:28 pm

Ahhhhh Jeanne. I wonder if Tori loves Joni too?? I bet she listened much. Probably met, played music with and hung out.

I love both those artists, but you know what????

I love YOU even more!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
    xoxoxoxooxxooxox
    xoxoxoxoxoxooxxox
    xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxo
    xooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

On 17 October 2011 at 3:27 am

Curiosity – patriciaswisdom.com said,

[…] And the Rooster crowing. […]

On 17 October 2011 at 9:53 am

Terrill Welch said,

Jannie, so glad I found you through Patricia’s wisdom blog this morning. You drink the same kind of coffee as I do. It is a rare brand but very sustaining. I looked for a subscribe button and couldn’t find it so will add you to my blogroll instead. You are a perfect Creative Potager connection. Best of today to you!

On 17 October 2011 at 10:14 am

Well hi, darlin’ Patricia! What have you got going on over there in Wise land today?? :) I’ll have to check and see. And I see you sent Terrill Welch over here…

HI Terrill!! What has Patricia got going on over there? I’ll have to see!! “a rare but sustaining brand of coffee..” I LOVE your words!! Yes, I should get my subscribe button back up. Looking forward to checking out the Potager connection indeed!!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

On 24 October 2011 at 10:54 pm

Yep, tall windows, and now kitties. :)

On 26 October 2011 at 4:14 pm

Hi Alice Audrey. I WANT your tall windows!! :)

On 27 October 2011 at 10:14 pm

Margaret said,

Great word play… and I’m thinking you put more than cream in your morning coffee! :)

On 27 October 2011 at 10:23 pm

Dearest Margaret. :) :) :) That seems to be the over-riding opinion on my coffee indeed. :)

Always wonderful to “see” you here.

xoxoxoxoxo

On 30 October 2011 at 2:06 pm

Heather said,

Wonderful!! Love the poetry and the pictures. This is the kind of coffee I can have in the afternoon and not get jitters and still get to sleep! :)

On 31 October 2011 at 10:02 am

Hey, Hey, Hey, MY dearest lovely Heather.

Guess what I’m doint this morning? Sitting close to my space heater under a fuzzy blanket, drinking ocffee and writing lyrics to “Hope You Found A Better Way.” Tidying up a few lines with paper and pen.

I oughta write MORE poems like this!!! :)

xoxoxoxoxooxo