Besides, It’s Always Mothers’ Day In Our Hearts.

Family, Just Good Stuff, Nova Scotia, Poetry, The Pea | Posted by Jannie on 28 May 2012 @ 1:12 PM 27 Comments

Five_sisters_to_love

A lady once spent
six hours a day bloggin’

‘Til she got a day job
and lost half her noggin.

Somehow her Mothers’ Day
post fell behind.

Now it’s quite late.
She hopes you don’t mind?

So, who could all those
gals be way up there,

ladies with summertime
shine in their hair.

Mom’s on the far left,
the “baby” of the five.

So lucky these
ladies are all still alive!!

And healthy!

Photo was taken
almost ten years ago

outside Saint James’
one day without snow.

Speaking of James’es who
are saintly and such,

That’s mine in the middle,
him I love much.

No, he’s not perfect,
but Honey, who is?

Except for Christ Jesus
in the forgiveness biz.

But back to the story
of the sisters above,

Each of them mothers.
Each of them love.

They are in Canada
while we’re here in Texas.

Next year we might drive up
in an good pre-owned Lexus.

Or fly in the sky in
a seven thirty seven

back home to the land of
Tim Hortonly heaven.

As to Kelly’s Christening
that earlier sweet now,

as to the land where
I learned to milk cows,

the wee one in the photo
with her toes peeking out,

— let’s give that singing
little cutie a shout.

She co-starred in her
school musical last week,

the stow-away in “Pirates”
She was AMAZING. And sweet.

my_favorite_pirate_roses

She made me a mother
for which I’m so grateful.

Thus concludes this poem
… only fifteen days lateful.

And because Jannie loves threes…

mahone_bay_notecard

there’s one I just took of a notecard sketched by Carol Olson in 1976.

I’m guessing it depicts the town 100 years ago.

The big whole family Kelly’s Christening Day photo was taken in front of the church on the left.

oxooxoxooxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo

On 28 May 2012 at 1:49 pm

Aimee said,

“only fifteen days lateful” Your posts always make me smile. Happy Belated Mother’s Day to you as well :)

On 28 May 2012 at 2:51 pm

brian miller said,

better late than never eh? and its always a good day to honor your mother…and the daughter that made you one…so cool on her performance in pirates…that looks like it is a lot of fun..

On 28 May 2012 at 3:13 pm

dulce said,

Love the picture!
    Happy mother’s day to all the mothers in your family
    Esp. YOU!

On 28 May 2012 at 5:51 pm

Ravenblack said,

Happy belated Mother’s Day! :) Lovely pics and wonderful poem of a mother’s pride and joy. Have an awesome week, Jannie!

On 28 May 2012 at 7:20 pm

Any day is a good day to celebrate mothers. Loved your tribute, Jannie. :-)

On 29 May 2012 at 2:54 am

Hi Jannie .. love seeing the family – and you’re right you’re lucky they’re all still alive – I do hope you can make the break and get up to visit en famille next year.

Love your poem .. and working does cut into one’s day doesn’t it?! Mother’s Day is always in our hearts …

Have a happy working week and enjoy that weekend .. cheers Hilary

On 29 May 2012 at 4:35 am

Well that’s a lovely Mothers Day poem and how lovely that they are all still with you.

Kelly got to wear a cool pirate hat! She got the entertainment gene, sounds like.

On 29 May 2012 at 5:37 am

G B Miller said,

What a lovely Mother’s day poem.

Happy Mother’s Day!

On 29 May 2012 at 12:31 pm

Jannie Funster said,

LOVELY & HANDSOME everybodies.

Thank you!!!

now back to work for Jannie…

On 29 May 2012 at 3:38 pm

Linda said,

Very nice poem, Jannie. You’re right, it is never too late to honor our mothers. They are forever in our hearts, and I miss mine every day. A belated happy mother’s day to you and your mom.

On 29 May 2012 at 4:55 pm

Laura Hegfield said,

beautiful dear Jannie and full of love and yes indeed…every day IS mother’s day!

On 30 May 2012 at 4:09 am

kaykuala said,

How fitting, Jannie! It’s not late! Mother’s day is everyday,you can bet on that. It’s nice to have a snapshot revisited after a decade. And it’s very apparent in the young when just a little tiny feet is now bound for the big time. And that’s a Mother’s day joy to no end! Wonderful verse Ma’am!

Hank

On 30 May 2012 at 5:11 am

I know it takes time to adjust to the new schedule…. at least you completed your post! Good going- n never too late to honor mothers as you know!

Great pics. Lucky to have them all living indeed- n to be one!
    Yay for Kelly the stellar Star of the day- did she get a bouquet of roses? Like the scetch tie in-

On 30 May 2012 at 7:32 am

What a beautiful tribute to sources of love in this life you cherish. The historic photo of Mahone Bay sends shivers up my spine. Its a gorgeous portrayal of a timeless place. Kind of reminds me of Brigadoon! Wonder if Mahone Bay regularly disappears into the mist as well? Would make a fabulous topic for a Down Home musical. Can u imagine the fishing stories? Whenever you keep a person, place or experience in the heart, it is always nearby. Geographic travel is unnecessary to rendez vous with love. Simply close your eyes, allow images to flow through and love to flow freely through the heart.

On 30 May 2012 at 11:50 am

kelly said,

look at all those lovely smiles! and yes, it is always Mother’s Day in our hearts…

On 30 May 2012 at 6:03 pm

Glenn Buttkus said,

Mothers seem to abound in Canada,
    like blue bonnets along the two laned
    roads in TX. Such a lovely tribute, and
    good on you for not giving in to whatever
    destroys figures. Kelly still has the cuteness
    factor corralled. Loved the last two dVerse
    submissions too. Both of us have been
    busy this last month, but I will always
    be a funster at heart.

On 30 May 2012 at 6:07 pm

Thank you Dear Aimee, who art a mother of a young ‘un too — a very cute, bright, funny and sweet one, as I recall. Oh, and a very talented boy, like his mama.

Thank you Dear Brian Miller, it’s still the month of may, eh? Mothers’ Day can still be slipped in. Wow, June 1st tomorrow. next thing it’ll be The 4th, of July I mean. That’s a fun day. Hope we get to have fireworks this year. The musical… It really was an EXCELLENT performance, junior or high school level singing and acting, I thought.

Thank you Dear Dulce who is so sweet and kind to pop on in here when I’ve been pretty absent from the blogosphere lately. But one of these days I’m gonna go blog hopping at the library, for like maybe a whole hour or TWO.

My Dear Ravenblack, that pirate child, who came like a gift from the Universe and keeps on giving — i can only watch and marvel at here. Hope you have an awesome week too. And guess what? I’m having a blue tin camping cup of wine at the moment, having just munched a whole King Size Hershey milk chocolate with almonds. And a buttered whole wheat roll. Just a little pre-dinner snack. :)

Thank you dearest Daisy who is an awesome mom. And person. Thank you very much. Still thinking about that super-sweet Mothers’ Day video your boy made for you — amazing. And a fine testament to just what a great person YOU are.

Thank you Dearest Hilary for continuing to shine up my comment page with your Hilary-ness. Yes, my oldest aunt there is now 85. And Mom is, is… okay born in 1939. She’s almost 73. yes, next year. I was hoping this, but it will be a grand event in June 2013. Yes, Mothers’ Day, Aunties’, Sisters’ Day, Cousins’ Day… always righ there for the taking and celebrating. Father’s and Brothers’ days too. I KNOW!!!! Working really DOES cut into my blogging time. But each moment is a blessing anyway and as Martha Stewart has made famous for us all… “It’s All Good.” :)Like this wine. And that chocolate. Did I REALLY just eat that whole bar by myself?? Half was supposed to have been for Kelly.

Dearest Lynn, I know this was probably not the best Mothers’ Day for you, and I was thinking of you that day — as I did Talon, Snaggle, Daisy and the others whose moms have passed along on this journey. Yeah, that hat was a complete surprise for me — the Queen Of The Seas, the other main character dubbed her wtih it at the end of the play. And that red vest I’d scored for her at Saver’s used clothing went missing between that, the matinee performance, and the later evening one. I videotaped both shows, of course. After I amass a small fortune of hopefully $500 with stuff I’m putting up on eBay I’m gonna get her a new laptop. And a video editing program for it. Then, we’ll pick the very best bits of her singing and acting and put together that audition video for the talent agency we have in mind here in Austin. Since Kelly took it upon herself to want to audtition for the stow-away — and learned the songs and dialog off the CD, all by her own, I can see she really wants to do this actress thing. And I’m gung-ho now that I’ve got such amazing footage to choose from, whooooohooooo. The Child Star will be Jim and Jannie’s retirement!! :)

Thank you, Dearest G. I never know when you’ll pop in with a comment, but it’s always a highlight for me — thanks!! Gosh, I’ll soon have been your blogging buddy a full FOUR years. Yep, this fall it will be.

Deraest Linda, I did not remember until your comment that your mom as passed along on her journey too. All the moms gone on to a big party, waiting for us all. Blessings and love to you, my dear. And OMG — the kittens are getting sooooooooooo cute. Almost 4 weeks old how!! How has the time flown that fast?? I love how Mieshka, the mother, now has them in a nice snuggly nest under a sofa with legs. And they are venturing out quite a bit. Primo is my favorite, please don’t tell the others, I love them too. But Primo just captured me hook, line and blinker. :)

Dearest Laura, thank you, you sweet soul up there in New Hampshire which must be getting absolutely gorgeous these days. Any lilacs out yet? Oh, I do do do so miss lilacs. Mahone Bay has many beautiful bushes of them, and one right under my old bedroom window. Nothing compares to lilac scent. Nothing.

Ahhhhhh, Dear Peeps, please forgive me for taking a little break now.

I’ll be back here when the planets have all lined up accordingly.

xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxox

On 31 May 2012 at 4:58 pm

G B Miller said,

Four years? Coincidentally, I just celebrated my fourth year of blogging this past weekend (5/24).

On 31 May 2012 at 6:38 pm

Talon said,

As always, Jannie, a delight to see and to read.

Hope your Mother’s Day was stupendous! xx

On 31 May 2012 at 8:35 pm

Dearest Kaykuala… tiny feet now bound for the big-time, I like that! She does enjoy it very much. Thank you for lighting up this site, once again with your heart that I can tell is just bursting with good intentions.

Dearest Snaggle… I guess that must be it — adjusting to a new schedule, and now with The Child finished school for the year that will again rearrange the schedule. She may have to spend some time at work with me. Yes, she did get some red roses after the evening performance. We gave some away and I enjoyed some on my desk for a few days.

Dearest Liara, I have never been to Brigadoon, or read the book. But many moons ago I used to order pizza delivery under the name of “Jan Rigadoon.” Yep, I did. I do like when the fogs came in over The Bay, transforms it into something otherworldly. Your last 3 sentences are beautiful, thanks!

Dearest Kelly, those smiles are near and dear to my heart, as you can imagine. They are a bunch of very sweet and fun-loving ladies. I miss them very much.

Dearest Glenn, I enjoy your poetry too very much! I feel like I could give in tonight and destroy my figure with gobs and gobs of soft butter on french bread. Um, um, sooooo good!1

G.B. Miller — the one I first got to know as g*****e… back in the day. Congrats on your 4 years — cool!! Mine 4h will be this September, the 22nd as I recall. And yours was one of the very first blogs I found via Blogger!! Cool.

Talon! More awesome to see you again than you will ever know! Missed you sooooooooo much, as did we all.

xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 1 June 2012 at 12:29 am

ayala said,

Happy belated Mother’s Day. I hope it was amazing like you. :)
    Xoxo

On 7 June 2012 at 2:54 pm

Ahhhhh, Dear Ayala. Thanks. You are so sweet. As usual!

xoxoxoxo

On 9 June 2012 at 12:00 pm

It’s hard to be away from the sisters (aunts) but if Canada is anything like Montana this year, you’re better off in the warmth of Texas. I’m sitting here in a sweater now and the furnace is running.

On 13 June 2012 at 9:49 pm

btw- Jannie, you must see the magical play of ” Brigadoon” you’ll enjoy it! Makes me misty… when it fades into the mist for another 400 years-

On 19 June 2012 at 2:11 pm

AA — Mom said they had a fire on yesterday! I’m sooooo jealous! I do love those cooler temps

Snag — Brigadoon, cool. I’ll keep it in mind, for sure!

xoxoxxo

On 23 June 2012 at 6:46 am

sheila said,

Lovely poem! And I love how you covered the other girls with roses for privacy, that’s great!

On 24 June 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hey, Sheila! A fellow blogging friend once suggested that unless i’ve gotten a signed release from parents it’s best not to share their faces. Happy Faces can be fun too, as I did a couple times.

xooxoxoxxoxo