For 30 Years…

Beauty, Friends, Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 28 August 2012 @ 1:40 PM 47 Comments

lilacs_and_ladders

For 30 years I searched
every face in every airport
and train station for yours.

For 30 years I waited
in cafes and grand piazzas,
on balconies and beaches.

I dipped my eyes into
every city I thought your
laughter could be hiding.

Left my smile’s shadows
in baskets on doorsteps
in Paris and Dublin.

Sometimes I’d see you
on the other side of the
glass, clearing Customs

or your airplane
would be heading
to Alaska as mine
was heading back
to The Southwest.

Sometimes you’d be
an ivory silk scarf left
on a park bench.

Or the first tinge
of yellow on the maple
at my attic window.

Others you’d be the
first snow or a strain of
Angie” on the wind.

But you were always
the lilacs and ladders
leading to spring.

Always the lilies
I only had to open
the eyes in my
heart to see.

dverse_poets_pub

Posted for dVerse Poetry Open Link Tuesday.

For a dear dear long-lost teenhood friend I’ve recently been blessed to hear from again via The Net after 30 years!

He saw one of my singing videos on someone’s blog and — voila!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Lilacs and limes painting from a free background site.

On 2 September 2012 at 4:25 pm

Every moment is perfect. Every encounter has perrfect timing, coming and going like footprints in the sand. You always get what you need even if its not what mind thinks it wants. Maple syrup runs through it all and makes it taste delicious.

On 2 September 2012 at 5:18 pm

Dear Glenn Buttkus, was there mirth in this?? I shall re-read, then return. Uh, mirth is always present, I guess! Have fun on FB. And everywhere.

WOW, Dear Shadiatique, I am glad this string of letters into these words spoke to your life too. Do you have lilacs over there?

Dear Sara, please send rain. And November. Just kidding on the Nov. I must be happy in all kinds of weather. :) Tho that IS one of my favorite-est months here. Actually, my fave months are Nov. to May. The song of life continues to sing, yes. And will forever, so the smart ones know. And Sara-Bo-Bara of current kitchen remodeling love and fame, I have missed you Sooooooooooo much here. But I forgive you for having a “Real Life” too. Something is always missing in my comments until you pop in. Forgot to mention in this poem that I also left my breath prints on a train window in the foothills of Les Alpes. And what’s neat is my friend took up guitar too since I’ve seen him. Is he handsome? Is he “strong? Does know the words to every song?” Again with the L.Cohen today. :) :) Anyway, Miss Man Room Gal… hope the 80s kitchen is getting spiffed?? :) Yeah, on the eBay. I did recently get a 50% split with one of Jim’s friends on an 1972 Polaroid Land Camera and a semi-antique Yashika-A! After the 20% eBay fees. And I have a John Singer Sargent book to wrap and mail, whooo-hoooo!!! I might pull out the gold foil for that one. I like the saving on gas idea!!! So glad I have a printer now, as of 2 days ago. Oh and Sara — you move to Austin? You and I going into eBay together! One more thing… you are awesome!!!!

Alrighty, and the party is finally getting started, also because Liara graces us with her presence. She’s in the ivory gold & satin gown and updo over by the mantel with a glass of Chai tea in her hand. I very much enjoyed the maple syrup on my pancake this morning, as did the 3 friends who giggled much of the night away.

And Alice Audrey revs up the evening with her elegant entrance in red and black leather. :) All visits of the heart are good, yes. And all good stuff only just beginning all the time.

xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxox

On 3 September 2012 at 9:37 am

Chris Edgar said,

Ooh, can I be a strain of “It’s Only Rock N’ Roll” on the wind? But I was totally touched by this, Janster!

On 3 September 2012 at 10:25 am

And there comes the lovely, the talented. I mean the handsome and talented Chris with some sprigs of laughter, a Moog keyboard and humus dip from heaven… “I like it like it, yes I do!” I believe the refrain you speak of goes in part. :) Totally touched back at ya!

xooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 5 September 2012 at 2:43 pm

LL Cool Joe said,

30 years is a long long time! Lovely words!

On 10 September 2012 at 9:36 am

Thanks, JOE!

On 26 September 2012 at 2:19 pm

Leather? Tsk. Velvet! As in Goth-chick velvet.