Advice For Writing Thursday Poems

Kelp Knitting, Poetry, Seriously Weird | Posted by Jannie on 15 January 2013 @ 2:55 PM 50 Comments

old_stove

if you go writing a poem on a thursday
be sure to wrap it in seaweed with the healing
powers of mustard and mossy mountain music.

a cabbage roll style wrap is fine.
Or, stickytape your poem inside a shoe box
and roost it in the warming oven of the

wood stove in a swamp woman’s hut.
let the poem sprout for seven sunsets
while the wise woman guides you

through the potions in her big book.
she won’t tell you what to do, as I am,
but she’ll teach you valuable lessons

as pertains to thursday imaginings.
for a friday poem you’ll need a gauze of
old gold bones for your framework,

and an iron fence to swing it on for
three high tides while it simmers for
all your neighbors to enjoy. but…

we’ll cover fridays next half-moon tuesday.
and wednesdays one mystical motherboard monday.
thank you for your poetic consideration.

dverse_poets_pub

Posted for dVerse Poetry’s Open Link Tuesday Festivities.

P.S. Mom and Dad have a stove EXACTLY like that in their kitchen, but theirs is by Elmira Stove Works.

They bought it about 1980 or so, as I recall. A good year.

And this is a good year too!

Thanks for your comments. I’ll be out to your blogs soon, whooohoooo!!!!

xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxoxooxoxo

• Twitter

On 15 January 2013 at 3:06 pm

brian miller said,

haha i look forward to that lesson as well….smiles…there is a bit of magic in how you weave thursday poems ma’am….when i next see the swamp woman i will tell her hello for you…smiles.

On 15 January 2013 at 3:08 pm

Mary said,

This was really fun and clever, Jannie. But what about Tuesday? LOL

On 15 January 2013 at 3:19 pm

colleen said,

Making magic! You are so witchy! In a wonderful way. Have you ever read Yoko Ono’s Grapefruit?

On 15 January 2013 at 3:27 pm

Bri! And it’ll give me motivation to write those next poems with this one as inspiration! :)

Mary! I think tuesday’s is best told with sponge cake and icing filling on a sunday morning afternoon! :)

Colleen! Oooo, ooo, witchy woman, she got the moon in her eyes, or some correct lyrics over that. :) NO! Never even heard about her grapefruit, tho I did see her on a talk show once in a mustard colored turtleneck and an autumn plum beret. So what ABOUT her grapefruit?

xooxoxoxoxo

On 15 January 2013 at 3:30 pm

claudia said,

haha…this is wonderful..i always wrap my poems in seaweed anyway…ha..smiles

On 15 January 2013 at 3:39 pm

wolfsrosebud said,

liked the mossy mountain music… I didn’t know you could do all those things to a poem

On 15 January 2013 at 4:17 pm

Blue Flute said,

I like this little instruction manual :P

On 15 January 2013 at 4:30 pm

ayala said,

Magic ;)

On 15 January 2013 at 5:14 pm

Alex Dissing said,

This is a fun piece! :)

On 15 January 2013 at 7:14 pm

Claudia! And yours are also wrapped in many other layers from Paris mist, to Australian pine bark to New York deli bagels — and more!! :)

Dear Rosebud… I also played with musical mountain moss, moss mountain music, mountain music moss, and on and on. So settled on the one you cite! Oh yes, and the wise woman says there are infinite possibilities of what can be done to, for and with poems!! :)

Blue Flute! now there’s a lovely name. I am sure I will enjoy your poems very much too. Glad you popped in, thanks.

Ayala! Yay!!! :)

Alex!! Yes, it did turn out rife with frivolity and fluffy bits just for grins. :)

xooxoxoxoxoxoox

On 15 January 2013 at 7:32 pm

Gretchen Leary said,

I liked this! So unique. A poetic recipe of sorts :)

On 15 January 2013 at 8:04 pm

Kim Nelson said,

SO TOTALLY FUN! Love your creativity.

On 15 January 2013 at 8:08 pm

Manicddaily said,

Much enjoyed! Even on this half=Tuesday in my whole office outside a one-way street. k.

On 15 January 2013 at 8:49 pm

Heaven (@asweetlust) said,

This was so fun to read Jannie ~ Thanks for the poetic instruction :-)

On 15 January 2013 at 9:31 pm

Kelly said,

Oh, you just weave the best magic! I love everything about this.

On 15 January 2013 at 9:49 pm

Wonderful poem, Jannie, and very good advice too! I love listening to mossy mountain music. :-) Hugs to you! Have a great week, Jannie.

On 15 January 2013 at 9:54 pm

Ruth said,

way beyond fun, magical & mystical, the best kind of poetry… & the best kind of advice for poets – how could one’s muse fail in that garden of delights?

On 15 January 2013 at 11:09 pm

Ravenblack said,

Friday’s on Tuesday, Wednesday’s on Mondays. Works for me! :)

Fun stuff and yes sometimes a poem might take seven sunset or even more before something starts showing.

Cheers to you, Jannie!

On 15 January 2013 at 11:10 pm

Thank you thank you, thank you all.
    The opposite of winter, some say is fall.

Gretchen, Kim and Manic too
    Heaven and Kelly how do you do?

Mystical magical garden of delight
    Daisy & Ruth, good dreams and good night.

oxoxoxox

On 15 January 2013 at 11:58 pm

But there was Raven right as rain
    after 7 sunsets her poems feel no pain.

xoxoxooxo

On 16 January 2013 at 1:12 am

Fred said,

Hey Jannie, Really some outstanding lines/images here. My favorites are the gauze of old gold bones and then sprout for seven sunsets. Really nice. Thanks 32 wow, my parents just got one in the 500 range last year, how prices have changed

On 16 January 2013 at 2:07 am

R.ross said,

This is clever. Complex, dense and yet a light touch.

On 16 January 2013 at 4:52 am

I’d rather drive a Mazda than cook on one! Usually drinking water comes in a reservoir, I wonder what that one is for… Wood, coal, or warm food? Ah, but the price is right- we can afford that! great old ad-

Power purpose coaching can be fun… poem makes me want to cook too!

On 16 January 2013 at 4:56 am

Tony said,

This is a really fun piece of writing Jannie, full of wonderful surprises. May I ask, did you mean ‘roost’ or ‘roast’ in the third line of the second stanza?

On 16 January 2013 at 11:05 am

Good sunshiney morning!

FRED! Yes, indeed how prices have changed. I wonder if the Mazda stove was the original GLC? Then they added wheels and a motor? :)

HEY R.ROSS! Awesome to see you! Yes, I did have fun with this one, my mind was in a silly mood, I like when that happens. :) Thanks for coming on over.

SNAGGLE!! :) :) Yes, I think the reservoir heated water? For dishes, baths and such. Actually — Mom’s & Dad’s does not have the reservoir, the only missing component. Cool old ad indeed, not sure what year exactly it’s from. Yes, I guess you know Chris Edgar already? He’s a songwriter too — working on his musical Steve’s Quest, which is really very very good.

TONY, TONY, TONY! Yes, I actually did mean roost. I also considered these verbs… “swell,” “coccoon” and “sing” So many verbs — so much fun!! Appreciate you popped on in.

Now….. back to putting up a few auctions on eBay for a while… :)

xooxoxoxoxooxxooxox

On 16 January 2013 at 12:50 pm

Mazda like the car??? I wonder if it’s the same company? Oops – I see someone else commented about that, but I’m too lazy to delete it now. :)

Now I’m dreaming of cabbage rolls!

On 16 January 2013 at 1:31 pm

Teresa said,

This is wonderful! If only I could find the formula for a Tuesday open link poem.

On 16 January 2013 at 1:34 pm

Beth Winter said,

As I read, I felt wisdom, unexplained yet vital just as my Grandmother whispered to me as I watched by her side. I absolutely love this poem. I feel happy now. Thank you.

On 16 January 2013 at 2:44 pm

LYNN!! You know what was really really funny about this poem? Jim came home with cabbage rolls the day I wrote this, and neither of us had mentioned to each other or eaten cabbage rolls in like, 2 years. I’m serious! he must’ve picked my cabbage roll vibes up in the winter waves of wheaten wonder. :)

DEAREST THERESA… I’m finding my formula has been a poem a week, and no other posts for two whole weeks in a row!! :) No real rhyme nor reason, but I love joining in dVerse to commune with you peeps. Let me see now… a Tuesday poem formula for you? 2 strong cups of coffee, a donut, some chicken tenders (organic of course,) a shorrt walk in the woods, or if city-bound, hug a tree and sing it a little tune, and poems will start popping out of you like border-crossers from the trunk of a car. In a good way! Set those poems freeeeee. :) :)

I am so glad you feel happy, Dear Beth Winter. I’ve been writing more happy poems the past couple days, or at least bits I can build upon. I find winter such a FUN CREATIVE TIME, all 6 weeks of it we have here. :) Actually, I’m thinking of having winter imported here from Canada each summer. Their summer during our Texas summer that is. :) As to grandmothers, I remember Dad’s mom as so sweet, and I’m SURE that’s where I get this donut thing from, she used to let me sugar the hot donuts from the old cast iron deep dryer!! I was 6 when she died. (Tho no one dies, really.) I look forward to hanging out with my future grand-kids one day.

And I think I’ll go scrub the tub and hop in. but not really HOP, as that could potentially create a preventable home injury. And I like my baths relatively stress-free. :)

xoxooxoxoxooxoxoxo

On 16 January 2013 at 3:35 pm

Sara said,

The usual delight I get at reading your poems, but doubled by the last stanza:

“but we’ll cover fridays next half-moon tuesday.
    and wednesdays one mystical motherboard monday.
    thank you for your poetic consideration.”

Did I tell I read these aloud. This last stanza was a tricky tongue twister ride, but loved it all the more for it.

Hope life is treating you well.

On 16 January 2013 at 3:50 pm

NOW it’s a poem, as Sara has been.

Yes, I keep in mind that you read these aloud. I have NO IDEA what your voice sounds like, but did you enjoy hearing it over old gold bones? :)

old gold bones roam mostly to nome. :)

and how about this, which was an earlier consideration…. “some other motherboard morning” Say 10 times fast!! :) :) And I think just as you were typing your comment I had done a final edit from wanderings to imaginings.

But wait — there are still some key friends missing from these comments…..

oh well, they’ll be by, by and by.

yep, life’s treating me pretty darn good indeed. I was able to wear sunscreen for the first time in 18 months yesterday! my mysterious rashes have run. TG!!!!!! :)

xooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 16 January 2013 at 8:38 pm

Kelvin S.M. said,

…ah, i think that was the most delicious advice i have ever had in my entire read…. thank you… and smiles….

On 17 January 2013 at 1:21 am

Sharp Little Pencil said,

Jannie, this was pure fun. I grinned through the whole piece, particularly the mention of seaweed, because my housemate and I are going to make sushi rolls (veggie) tomorrow. Now, I wonder if I will also put a poem in one. Perhaps I could write a poem with soy sauce ON the seaweed and eat my creation! Now that would be JUST loopy enough… Love, Amy

On 17 January 2013 at 7:40 am

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said,

Lovely imaginings!

On 17 January 2013 at 11:39 am

Ahhhh RUTH you are too kind. Thank you sweetly.

RAVENBLACK, and maybe Sundays on Saturdays, and dVerse-visa. ? :) Yes, 7 sunsets, and sometimes just 1 whiff of memory or a leaf of a life that the seasons tear off and renew. (Sorry, L. Cohen, for my poetic liscense.)

FRED, speaking about outstanding lines/images, how about your whole last 8:49 youtube! I admit I did not watch your face the whole time, I had scrolled down to let your voice dance over the words. I was pretty-much always a paragraph behind you, but more than enjoyed!!

R.ROSS!! The one whose link I had to sleuth around to find… :) Thanks.

SNAGGLE!! Did you ever drive a Mazda? I did many many over the course of 20 years Jim had his car shop. My fave would be the Miata!! And the 929s could be pretty smooth. Wait, didn’t I already answer your comment? I guess I’ve stepped back in time, or something. :)

Oh yeah, okay, I know where I am now. Next would be…

Kelvin. Thank you KELVIN. And seaweed, as Sponge Bob tells us, is good for about anything that ails. :)

SHARP LITTLE PENCIL! I wonder if as I type this, you are rolling out your sushi. I never could quite catch onto liking sushi. i could yet, tho. Life is young. Love to YOU too!!!!! And guess what, oh wait — no, I won’t spill the beans on that. you’ll just know it when it happens, as actions speak louder than awords, in general. Tho words can speak pretty darned loud too, as you well know.

Anyhoo… ROSEMARY, in the course of having fun with this I also considered revelations, dreamings and wanderings for imaginings. Today I may consider enchantments, pirouettes and meanderings for the imaginings. :)

xooxoxoxoxoxooxoxo

On 17 January 2013 at 12:52 pm

Limda said,

Jannie, not only is this poem rife with frivolity, but also with the uniqueness that’s so totally you. Gotta say I love that stove. There was one in both my grandmother’s house (sole means of cooking) and in my aunt & uncles house, although they had an electric stove they cooked on. Those old stoves make really good food. Plus they will run you out of the kitchen when they are cranked up. Not so good in the summer. Have a great weekend.

On 17 January 2013 at 1:02 pm

LIMda!! You’re back!!!!!! yes, but pretty freaking nice to get close to when the -30 winds are howling around!! My brother and Dad still cut their own wood off Dad’s 100 acres. No clear-cutting, tho. And the woods are stronger than ever. Mostly soft wood but some hard too. I’ll have to ask Dad when they got their first electric stove. (They have both, of course!! And in the words of the Mightly Prophet — country AND Western.) :) :) There is an art to dancing with a wood fire’s step, yes, done with good oven mitts and a watchful eye. :) You have a good weekend too.

Now….. I believe I have 3 leather jackets to measure, some shoes to polish and a couple of old movie cameras to photograph, a Keystone and an Bell & Howell… looks like from the 60s or 70s. True Vintage nowadays.

oxoxoxoxo

On 18 January 2013 at 10:01 am

Hi Jannie .. I opened the blog up and left the picture there – went off to do something … 20 minutes later I think oh oh where on earth am I … Hardwick and BB would have enlightened me quickly enough .. but they’re both cozied up as it’s snowing here … you could have a blanket of wet snow … it is quite damp – so they may appear sometime soon!!

Loved the photo and thoughts of a warming stove … we used to have an Aga and many of the family still do – love them … but Mazdas – now we had the odd car or two! – but it wasn’t an oven on wheels …

Have a great weekend .. and a really happy year – big hugs Hilary

On 18 January 2013 at 11:51 am

Oh Gosh Hilary — you remind me of me!! I left comments on Lynn’s & Snaggle’s blogs, planning next to pop over and enjoy your Present, then I chanced to glance over to my eBay table and got into that. But it’s all good. So very, very good.

Wet snow? I’ll take a bushel. And a peck. A little snowman / snow angel / snowball fight kit. Have Hardwick whip it down the tunnel, please and thanks. :)

You have a great weekend too! And a really happy decade!!!! :) :) And beyond. And beyond.

xooxoxoxoxoxoooxooxox

On 19 January 2013 at 1:11 am

My grandparents had one very much like it in a summer cottage years and years ago. It heated the whole house.

On 19 January 2013 at 11:50 am

Chris Edgar said,

Thanks for the shoutout, J-Fun! The motherboard is indeed the Ouija Board of the 21st century, isn’t it? Personally I prefer to write my poems on a slip of paper small enough to fit into a California or Unagi Roll and serve them to the guests at the poetry salon in my sitting-room.

On 19 January 2013 at 9:51 pm

Alice Audrey — I can relate to the heating the whole cottage. Mom & Dad have a camp back in the woods (Well, they have 3, but the original is still the biggest and fanciest. The other two are further, in the logging areas.) Well… as kids we’d often have snow-mobiling parties back there. And holy frig — was it COLD when you got there. But after an hour or 2 we’d have to open some windows to let out the heat. :) Fun times so long long ago.

Chris! I love how what I’ve read and / or heard and / or seen lately weaves itself into my poems in the most unexpected ways to me. I never did get back over yet to read your reply to what I’m sure was one of my typically weird comments on your post, but the message has stuck with me. Or the gist of not wanting to be told what to do. All men being born free and equal like to make their own way. The Ouija Board of the 21st century — love that! We sit with our fingertips helping pushing and pulling the scales of thought, and such. :) Unagi Roll, something to Google after Apidastras. And what other salons have you?? :) Do tell! I sense you live in a 67 room mansion. :0

xoxooxoxoxooxoxo

On 20 January 2013 at 4:01 pm

gdk3 said,

My dad still has the same woodstove at his house. Your mom probably remembers it as it’s been there forever. Heats the hot water tank warms the house and cooks. They don’t make things like that anymore.

On 20 January 2013 at 5:27 pm

Does he have an electric one too, GDK? And yes, I’ll for sure ask Mom about the Turkey Town stove. :)

xoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxo

On 21 January 2013 at 4:01 am

Madeleine Begun Kane said,

A fun and clever poem!

On 21 January 2013 at 10:42 am

Dr. J said,

LOL! I sometimes see stuff like my folks had at antique markets!

You are one prolific poet, Jannie!

On 22 January 2013 at 12:17 am

I imagine you as enjoying the role of prop sleuth for theatre and movie productions. You would certainly enjoy the quest for unusual and unique vintage items. I also imagine you composing songs about them as you drive. Love your words, your energy and creative vision.

On 22 January 2013 at 5:55 pm

Thank you Lovely MADELEINE.

Thank you Lovely DR.J. :) Hey, — do you watch American Pickers? We do a lot. And it would appear there is still a lot of good old stuff around, tho some who possess it are quite reluctant to let it go. :)

Thank you Lovely LIARA, yes, indeed I do compose many tunes whilst driving, and have 500 iPhone vocal recording clips to testify to that. I do love old things. And SO FUNNY you mention props for movies….. as in my current eBay auction up for a 1960s or maybe 70s home video camera I wrote “not sure if you’ll want to use this for a movie prop, conversation piece, or for its actual intended purpose.” feeling great, feeling this is MY year!!! :) :)

xooxoxoxoxoxooxo

On 4 February 2013 at 2:26 pm

We only ever went up in the summer. I don’t want to think about how cold it would be in winter. Bad enough to have to crawl out of bed in the summer to light a fire because everything was icy cold. We’re talking an elevation over 8,000 feet.

On 10 February 2013 at 3:49 pm

Oooo 8000 feet is a ways up indeed. Mom and Dad’s elevation is about 100 feet.

And I saw this documentary about Siberia once and how in the coldest place they had to stay up all night lighting fires under the OIL PANS of big trucks, so they wouldn’t freeze up. wooof, brass monkey, baby.

And did you know a brass monkey is a cannon ball trivet? I think so, anyway!

xoxooxoxoxooxo