Advice For Writing Thursday Poems

Kelp Knitting, Poetry, Seriously Weird | Posted by Jannie on 15 January 2013 @ 2:55 PM 50 Comments

if you go writing a poem on a thursday
be sure to wrap it in seaweed with the healing
powers of mustard and mossy mountain music.

a cabbage roll style wrap is fine.
Or, stickytape your poem inside a shoe box
and roost it in the warming oven of the

wood stove in a swamp woman’s hut.
let the poem sprout for seven sunsets
while the wise woman guides you

through the potions in her big book.
she won’t tell you what to do, as I am,
but she’ll teach you valuable lessons

as pertains to thursday imaginings.
for a friday poem you’ll need a gauze of
old gold bones for your framework,

and an iron fence to swing it on for
three high tides while it simmers for
all your neighbors to enjoy. but…

we’ll cover fridays next half-moon tuesday.
and wednesdays one mystical motherboard monday.
thank you for your poetic consideration.

Posted for dVerse Poetry’s Open Link Tuesday Festivities.

P.S. Mom and Dad have a stove EXACTLY like that in their kitchen, but theirs is by Elmira Stove Works.

They bought it about 1980 or so, as I recall. A good year.

And this is a good year too!

Thanks for your comments. I’ll be out to your blogs soon, whooohoooo!!!!

On 19 January 2013 at 11:50 am

Chris Edgar said,

Thanks for the shoutout, J-Fun! The motherboard is indeed the Ouija Board of the 21st century, isn’t it? Personally I prefer to write my poems on a slip of paper small enough to fit into a California or Unagi Roll and serve them to the guests at the poetry salon in my sitting-room.

On 19 January 2013 at 9:51 pm

Alice Audrey — I can relate to the heating the whole cottage. Mom & Dad have a camp back in the woods (Well, they have 3, but the original is still the biggest and fanciest. The other two are further, in the logging areas.) Well… as kids we’d often have snow-mobiling parties back there. And holy frig — was it COLD when you got there. But after an hour or 2 we’d have to open some windows to let out the heat. :) Fun times so long long ago.

Chris! I love how what I’ve read and / or heard and / or seen lately weaves itself into my poems in the most unexpected ways to me. I never did get back over yet to read your reply to what I’m sure was one of my typically weird comments on your post, but the message has stuck with me. Or the gist of not wanting to be told what to do. All men being born free and equal like to make their own way. The Ouija Board of the 21st century — love that! We sit with our fingertips helping pushing and pulling the scales of thought, and such. :) Unagi Roll, something to Google after Apidastras. And what other salons have you?? :) Do tell! I sense you live in a 67 room mansion. :0

On 20 January 2013 at 4:01 pm

gdk3 said,

My dad still has the same woodstove at his house. Your mom probably remembers it as it’s been there forever. Heats the hot water tank warms the house and cooks. They don’t make things like that anymore.

On 20 January 2013 at 5:27 pm

Does he have an electric one too, GDK? And yes, I’ll for sure ask Mom about the Turkey Town stove. :)

On 21 January 2013 at 4:01 am

Madeleine Begun Kane said,

A fun and clever poem!

On 21 January 2013 at 10:42 am

Dr. J said,

LOL! I sometimes see stuff like my folks had at antique markets!

You are one prolific poet, Jannie!

On 22 January 2013 at 12:17 am

I imagine you as enjoying the role of prop sleuth for theatre and movie productions. You would certainly enjoy the quest for unusual and unique vintage items. I also imagine you composing songs about them as you drive. Love your words, your energy and creative vision.

On 22 January 2013 at 5:55 pm

Thank you Lovely MADELEINE.

Thank you Lovely DR.J. :) Hey, — do you watch American Pickers? We do a lot. And it would appear there is still a lot of good old stuff around, tho some who possess it are quite reluctant to let it go. :)

Thank you Lovely LIARA, yes, indeed I do compose many tunes whilst driving, and have 500 iPhone vocal recording clips to testify to that. I do love old things. And SO FUNNY you mention props for movies….. as in my current eBay auction up for a 1960s or maybe 70s home video camera I wrote “not sure if you’ll want to use this for a movie prop, conversation piece, or for its actual intended purpose.” feeling great, feeling this is MY year!!! :) :)

On 4 February 2013 at 2:26 pm

We only ever went up in the summer. I don’t want to think about how cold it would be in winter. Bad enough to have to crawl out of bed in the summer to light a fire because everything was icy cold. We’re talking an elevation over 8,000 feet.

On 10 February 2013 at 3:49 pm

Oooo 8000 feet is a ways up indeed. Mom and Dad’s elevation is about 100 feet.

And I saw this documentary about Siberia once and how in the coldest place they had to stay up all night lighting fires under the OIL PANS of big trucks, so they wouldn’t freeze up. wooof, brass monkey, baby.

And did you know a brass monkey is a cannon ball trivet? I think so, anyway!