Jazzabelle’s Grandmother

Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 22 January 2013 @ 2:51 PM 31 Comments

breeze_curtains

often when the other kids
were searching elsewhere,
jazzabelle’s grandmother

would grab my eyes with
her smile and point to where
the candy was hidden.

maybe it was all that
ocean in my eyes and all
those songs in my hair?

the way i
danced up
the tree?

i may never know, but i do
recall how her laugh sparkled
up that old tar paper shack

the summers her four beautiful
grand-daughters and i flapped in
and out the screen door all day

kitchen
curtains

on a
breeze
bound
for

this poem
with you.

dverse_poets_pub

Would YOU like to share a Tuesday poem and read others’ ?

Take care y’all and stay extra-cute, like y’all already are. Okay?

xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo

[Edit Thursday evening, Jan. 24th at 10:24 p.m. (Texas Time) -- forgot to explain... it was a game to see what kid could find the candy first.  Everybody got a goodie eventually of course, but the lady did tend to favor yours truly from time to time. ] :)

And that’s all!!

Have a ball!

• Twitter

On 22 January 2013 at 3:05 pm

wolfsrosebud said,

loved the ocean and songs line… what a visual

On 22 January 2013 at 3:27 pm

claudia said,

oh i bet it was all that ocean in your eyes and all those songs in your hair….who could resist…smiles..this is wonderful…

On 22 January 2013 at 3:31 pm

Yousei Hime said,

I’m always drawn to poems about people, especially family. Enjoyed reading.

On 22 January 2013 at 3:41 pm

brian miller said,

smiles…i imagine she did not mind you flapping in and out all day…just to be around you…grandmothers can be cool like that…even if they arent ours…and knowing where the candy is , is also a good thing…smiles..ocean int eh eyes and songs in the hair…smiles..cool touches that…

On 22 January 2013 at 3:52 pm

Jennifer Susannah Devore said,

Summer breezes, ocean in our eyes and flapping screen doors: have you been spying on my days? La mer …

Ciao, Miss Jannie of Texas!

Moi

On 22 January 2013 at 4:03 pm

Rod E. Kok said,

Beautiful write! Reminds me of my own grandmother(s).

On 22 January 2013 at 4:44 pm

Lovely poem, Jannie, and lucky you that she took a shine to you (not that I’m surprised by that at all!). :-) xoxo

On 22 January 2013 at 4:55 pm

Alex Dissing said,

This was a touching piece that helped lighten my day. Thanks, Jannie.

On 22 January 2013 at 5:15 pm

Mark Windham said,

really liked this:

maybe it was all that
    ocean in my eyes and all
    those songs in my hair.

but the whole thing was pretty darn good

On 22 January 2013 at 5:44 pm

Well, holy cow guys — I shall keep that ocean in my eyes and plenty of songs in my hair for you!!

xooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxo

On 22 January 2013 at 5:57 pm

Lovely, Jannie, like you. Love the line about flapping in and out of the house – I can just see that.

On 22 January 2013 at 5:57 pm

Kelly said,

oh, you brought back such memories of the kind of days i wonder if any of our children have anymore…. i think she did it because she knew that you had poetry in your heart :)

On 22 January 2013 at 7:03 pm

Gretchen Leary said,

Oh to see ocean in one’s eyes. What an image. I loved this.

On 22 January 2013 at 9:02 pm

Kelvin S.M. said,

…i really enjoyed this…simply beautiful and not even pretentious to make one impressed…. poems like this are worthy to be framed and be displayed at home… smiles…

On 22 January 2013 at 10:05 pm

Ruth said,

perfect. your poem reminded me of summer days when my sisters and i flapped in and out just like that, but i would never have thought to describe it so prettily, enticingly… made me wish i’d known a jazzabelle’s grandmother too

On 23 January 2013 at 1:07 am

amy said,

this kind of poetry is the reason I love poetry. Im such a fan.
    Amy

On 23 January 2013 at 3:46 am

Fred said,

excellent poem Jannie. Love the way you brought this remembrance to verse. Really nice lines, my favorite being

maybe it was all that
    ocean in my eyes and all
    those songs in my hair?

Really nicely done. Thanks

On 23 January 2013 at 12:31 pm

HI Jannie .. flapped in and out of the old barn door … I can remember days like that – always exploring somewhere .. and the old wood, the gauze curtain .. pretty bows and ribbon … but they’ve seen some life … mine too …

Love the verse and the images you create … was she really called Jazzabelle?

Big hugs from a snowy England … Hilree xoxoxoxo

On 23 January 2013 at 2:22 pm

Mama Zen said,

This is gorgeous, Jannie!

On 23 January 2013 at 2:44 pm

Kim Nelson said,

Oh My Goodness! The story is so accessible, the sounds and sights clear and bold. the personalities are rightly inferred, and I love the ending where you bring it to the reader like a gift.

On 23 January 2013 at 3:23 pm

Wow, already 2:13 pm and I’m just getting to my blog for the first time today.

But I can’t stay long, I think I’m gonna have a nap.

Ahhhhhhh, you all make me cry (in a good way) smile, laugh, and feel all warm in my heart.

HILARY!! You win a prize. No, her name was NOT Jazzabelle, but I LOVE that name!!!!! There was a WONDERFUL indoor play place here when Kelly was a wee bairn, called Radijazz. Actually, it was open for maybe 4 years and we had a great time there. Lots of pix from times there with friends, and sometimes just Kelly and me, meeting new friends.

Radijazz was named for the owner’s 2 kids — Radian and Jazzabelle, and the latter seems to have made it into a poem finally. :) I thought it was named for Radical Jazz, until I learned the true tale.

The real friend’s name who inspired this poem does have 3 syllables too. And guess what???!! She was born exactly ONE DAY on this earth after I was. Yep, I’ll always be so much older than she. :) xoxoxooxoxoxoox

KIM — YOU, the reader, are the true gift to the poem

everyone else….. xoxooxoxoxoxoxxo too. Your words are my wine. thanks.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooox

On 23 January 2013 at 3:38 pm

Sara said,

First of all, I loved the picture. I could sit and stare at it forever. It reminds me of summer days when I was a kid. Now days, you don’t see too many curtains blowing, due to AC.

What can I say about the poem? There’s so much to love and such a wonderful story in this one. I also loved the name Jazzabelle. It’s fun to say.

I like your quote to your readers; “Your words are my wine.” That’s great.

Have a nice relaxing day — sing yourself to sleep with your own lullaby:~)

On 23 January 2013 at 8:47 pm

Chris Edgar said,

And just think, your hair still hasn’t run out of songs! Not to mention all of the other parts of you that may be involved in songcraft. Given that names like Jazzabelle run in her family, I’m not surprised she was musically inclined.

On 23 January 2013 at 9:04 pm

Margaret said,

ocean in my eyes and all
    those songs in my hair?

and the ending is lovely, kind-of wraps us up into the poem itself as a participant. :) Nice.

On 23 January 2013 at 10:22 pm

I’m lookin really cute
    like a stuffed animal
    in my three clothes layers
    n two winter coats
    as I waddle
    thru the plaza…
    All grey plaids

Thanks for the curtains n imagery of the Gramma with the candy… My dad used to hide it too, but I wasn’t nosy enough to find n steal it- unless he offered it- like the photo

On 24 January 2013 at 11:10 pm

I am entirely eternally enchanted by YOU!!

I read all your words with smiles in my oceanic eyes. Even those of you who read, but left no words as such, your hearts spoke sweetly to me here.

If I am not answering each comment today, please forgive me and give yourself a big hug from me.

whooooooooooohoooooooooooooo

oxoxoxoxoxooxox

On 25 January 2013 at 11:41 am

Limda said,

Cool poem, Jannie. I love how you put long-ago memories into words, which in turn, puts them into pictures. Cold with wintry precipitation off and on through the day here. Have a great weekend whatever your weather.

On 28 January 2013 at 10:14 am

Hey, again guys way up above!! And Linda. Thanks again for your visits, each one of you a rose in my garden.

Warm with spring precipitation here.

Cloudy with a chance of Fun.

On 4 February 2013 at 2:41 pm

I love the ocean in your eyes and songs in your hair, and the way you dance up the tree, with or without wine.

On 4 February 2013 at 7:13 pm

Audrey Howitt said,

Oh Jannie–I Loved–loved–loved this piece–I can hear your voice in every line–or imagine that I can

On 27 March 2013 at 2:21 am

Jenif said,

He Writes Poems by the Seashore
    I’m watching the birds for fins
    And the clouds for making waves
    I already know that they suggest
    A presence of foam or brine
    The wet blue below me
    And the dry blue above
    Are identical twins bound together
    In my field of vision,
    The loss of sunlight will only make
    This reversal of poles worse,
    When night comes, the stars
    Will be the tips of so many anglers
    Trying to lure me into new depths.