Scenes From A Texas Hill Country Spring Break Vacation

Beauty, Friends, Photography | Posted by Jannie on 22 March 2014 @ 11:38 AM 28 Comments

Inside_the_Pyramid

Enjoyed a few glorious days with friends who are nearing completion of their all-cedar yoga pyramid.

peace_and_yoga_pyramid

25 squares comprise the newly-finished floor, with the center one being extra-special.

25_large_squares

Here I am in my lucky blue hat…

yours_truly_in_the_pyramid

Once the basement cave is finished, guests will remove their shoes there, wash their feet in a stream pumped from one of the koi ponds, and ascend to the sanctuary.

down_to_the_waterfall_grotto

Quite the place!

112_0417

(That scaffolding will be removed eventually.)

Here’s a view of the pyramid from a mile or 2 away…

with_The_Pyramid_in_the_distance

See it?

Wait…

crop_to_pyramid

way_crop_to_pyramid

I managed to get a lucky (because my glasses were in the truck) zoom shot of it…

el_pyramid

Near the pyramid is their log cabin home,

beauty_salon

curled_and_colored

which often doubles as a hair salon,

pillow_fight

and pillow fight parlor.

log_cabin_with_WiFi

A log cabin with WiFi and all the modern creature comforts — not bad!

the_wood_gatherer

Wood is gathered for the fireplace.

chicken_pied_piper

Chickens are raised.

One hen is actually named Kelly and one is named Jannie! And Kelly just laid her first egg!!

my_friend_the_chicken_pied_piper

Veggies are planted.

let_the_planting_begin

And the bread — OMG, the bread!!

The lady of the cabin bakes it from her own recipe.

My_Best_Friend_Bakes_Her_Own_Bread_Almost_Daily

BEST.

BREAD.

EVER.

her_organic_bread

we_like_pancakes

Her pancakes are from scratch, of course!

And her soup from those organic chickens she raises.

her_own_chicken_soup

Even Jannie, the hen will end up a feast one day.

(Hey, it’s a farm.)

wine_in_the_hot_tub_at_sunset

A farm with a hot tub on the sunset side of the house.

sunset_side

From that deck you can see the stretch of road where I took the long-distance pyramid shots from!

my_wine_baby

That was my wine!

3 parting tidbits about our stay in the hill country…

el_cactus

I fell in love with that 8″ tall cactus,

fruit_blossoms

those blossoms,

One_Fine_Hippie_Lady

and am ever more in wonderment that the Universe could grace me with such an incredibly wonderful friend, who for some strange reason…. seems to like me too. :)

What’d I ever do to deserve so much awesome??!

~~ Posted by Jannie, who hopes to see you at the pyramid one day.

xoxooxoxooxoxoxoxoxoo

On 22 March 2014 at 1:56 pm

brian miller said,

wow. first, the bread…save me a slice…smiles…that yoga pyramid is so cool…love the perspective shots in there…and a log cabin…i am jealous…i want a log cabin one of these days…glad you pointed out that pyramid in the distance…i had yet to scroll down and i wasnt finding it…ha…that is huge…

On 23 March 2014 at 7:08 am

Keith Smith said,

WOW! I want to be inside that pyramid! And Cedar?! I bet it smells wonderful inside! Great photographs Jannie, they make me want to be there. Thank you

On 23 March 2014 at 8:45 am

Now the invite to the pyramid .. sounds wonderful – I’m sure your friend with her generous mind will be pleased to welcome all your blogging buddies … I’ll be over – Hardwick will come too – he has to meet Blue Bunny … and I need to spend time with the Funstermanigement team …

How fantastic to be able to go out and spend some time at that wonderful farm .. just gorgeous … lucky you .. and it has wine, and a tub .. and views .. and that home-made bread … smells so good from here ..

Cheers to one and all – Hilary

On 23 March 2014 at 10:52 am

G. B. Miller said,

A very cool pyramid and the fact that you can actually see that bad boy from a couple of miles away is also wicked cool.

On 23 March 2014 at 7:25 pm

Colleen@LooseLeafNotes said,

I almost didn’t want to know what it was … a spaceship? Love the photo journal trip of sights, colors and lip smacking every day life.

On 23 March 2014 at 9:38 pm

Linda said,

“What’d I ever do to deserve so much awesome??!” I guess you are your own brand of awesome. Great pics…looks like a fabulous trip. Have a great week! Hope you’re feeling better.

On 24 March 2014 at 3:03 pm

LL Cool Joe said,

Hey just to let you know I’ve been having real problems commenting on your blog but have no idea why!

A log cabin with wifi, wine and fresh bread. What more could you ask for??

On 24 March 2014 at 3:07 pm

claudia said,

oh wow…that sounds like you had a wonderful time… i could almost smell her bread… and i make my pancakes from scratch as well…smiles.. very cool place jannie

On 24 March 2014 at 5:56 pm

That all looks very fun! What a nice life they lead. And I like that they named their wildlife after you and Kelly. :)

I want to be in a hot tub with wine right now!

oxoxoxooxx

On 24 March 2014 at 7:36 pm

The pyramid is a symbol of the all-seeing eye, the omniscient being that is aware in and contains everything. Love all that arises, every adventure and encounter. Know that everyone you meet is a divine expression of your true being. When you allow yourself to see beauty, friendship, and to experience joy, you are in touch with divine nature. Everything is a mirror. Life need not seem like glimpses of joy, that is glimpses of your spontaneous Self. Have fun wherever you are, whatever you do. Love embraces you in all you do like your own angel wings.

On 24 March 2014 at 8:34 pm

Talon said,

What great spaces, places, and people. Who could ask for more? That bread looks divine! I’m soooo jealous! xxooxxoo

On 24 March 2014 at 9:20 pm

I would LOVE to visit the pyramid. The pyramid, cabin, chickens – it’s all totally cool.

As to deserving such good friends, of course you do. You earned it by being a good friend yourself. But don’t let that keep you from marveling. Marveling is so much fun. :)

On 25 March 2014 at 4:41 pm

Dearest Brian — Sometimes she puts slices of cheese inside and on top of 1 loaf, before she bakes it that is. In-fricking-credible bread!! That’s funny, Bri — that was the first time for me viewing the pyramid from afar. My friends had to point it out for me on the hill too!!

Dearest Keith — come on over!! Help build the bathrooms, and party cabin a ways down the path. Oh — it’s like being in a perma cedar closet, as heavenly as you might imagine!! Well, I’ll have to see if I can find my camera’s “Pyramid Interior” setting, I think sharper shots would do the structure much better justice.

Yes, Dearest Hilary, you are of course always welcome at the pyramid too. they’d just finished the floor for a wedding held there. Bit by bit it’s coming together. Hardwick and BB can frolic in the woods with the cactus and play music on the “Singing Rock” down the hill. Sending bread to you all via The Tube….

Hey. Dearest G.B. I thought you’d never be back! So good to see you. I’d been to the farm a few times, but that was my first pleasure of having that view of it. i didn’t even know you COULD see if from any road — blew me away to learn that. Cool indeed!

Dearest Colleen, whose “Muses Like Moonlight” poetry book I have just had the pleasure of reading and loving! I was thinking of you of course as I put this post together, the chickens and nice organic, buy-local Floyd life and am so glad to see you here. But… the pyramid IS a spaceship!! And it take us wherever we want to go!!!! :)

Dearest Linda, awesome is as awesome does — and that’s why I’m lucky enough to have YOU pop in with your sunshine. I’m feeling about 95% now, yes thanks. was at 90% yesterday. Kelly bounced back much faster from the bug than her dad and I did. That’s kids for ya, eh? All young and resilient and pulsing with that natural HGH!!

Oh Dearest Joey, glad to hear I hadn’t inadvertently pissed you off somehow and you were avoiding me. :) You may have tried to comment when my host was doing some blog maintenance, or something. So glad you’re back! She’s actually having some of us friends beta test her recipe, as she wants to start selling bread-making kits. I think this weekend Kelly and I will try our hand at it!

Well, Sweeties, I think I’ll get back to getting that closet cleared out now…

See y’all later!

xooxoxoxox

On 25 March 2014 at 8:18 pm

Chris Edgar said,

Wow, that is a miracle of, I guess, hybridized Egyptian and Indian architectural influences. If only the Egyptians had practiced yoga, perhaps they might not have been so frequently at war with the Nubians, the Hittites, and other neighboring peoples. Looks like a good time was definitely had by all.

On 26 March 2014 at 8:25 am

Kalyani said,

Jannie, you rock sooooo much! Thanks for creating such a lovely post about our little home in the country. You make it seem so nice, I want to go there even though I already live there! Love, Kalyani

On 26 March 2014 at 1:16 pm

Sara said,

The yoga pyramid is really cool. I liked the pictures taken a few miles away and how you added the red squares until you got the zoom going.

From the pictures, it looks everyone had a good time, even the hens, Kelly and Jannie. However, I don’t want to think about them ending on a plate someday. I like the idea of them laying eggs:~)

I’m glad you had fun. What more can you ask for? BTW that bread made my stomach growl, reminding me it’s 2:00PM where I’m at and time for lunch:~)

Thanks for sharing these photos of your trip to a wonderful house in the country.

On 26 March 2014 at 4:56 pm

Dearest Claudia — I know where in Germany to go for pancakes!!! Did I mention her bread is crisp outside and oh so soft and magical inside??!!

Dearest Lynn, yes, one day her partner woke up and said “Well, I guess I’ll build a pyramid now,” adding to a long list of his accomplishments. Well, I’ve got my wine in hand already today, as Jim will be doing the driving tonite, whoohooo!! Cheers, my beautiful friend!!

Dearest Liara, yes, yes, yes!! All-seeing, all-knowing and all-good!! And I just dusted off my angel wings! They are really bringing out the blue in my eyes today, I think. :)

Dearest Talon — and one of the nights we went 10 minutes away to town, a small artist haven on a river to a party, then to a dance. Not a bad few days at all! Now… there will be future posts about the bread and how you can order your very own kit off eBay and / or Amazon. Stay tuned!!!

Dearest Alice Audrey, I shall escort you there myself when you come visit me. It’s only an hour from our home. And yes, thank you, good to be reminded all these good things I deserve, as I invited them into and ask them to stay in my life. And marveling — I think you and I both do that quite well, never quit — but how can we, children of wonder at heart.

Dearest Chris, you made me Google Nubian. I thought it was maybe the tribe Wonder Woman descended from until I learned about the Sudan and such. And I guess our friend was thinking, “If I build it, they will come.” And we are!!! Hurry up and get out here, okay?!

DEAREST KALYANI — co-star of this post, with the pyramid. I love you!!!! Amazing eh, you’re leading such a fabulous life you were not even fully aware of. :) I WILL do a post on your bread sometime, and expound how folks can get your kit and such. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for having your daughter so she could meet mine at their Kung Fu class all those years ago to finally be physically flung together in life and love. You know I love you more than ever could be expressed with these things called words. (Oh, and K — I love how I see a lot of Zach in you in the pancake-serving photo. So extra-cute!!)

Dearest Sara, how many people do you know who have built their own pyramid, eh?? :) I know, I know, the chickens that are raised and then feed us. The one in that crock pot was actually a rooster, Big Red. Now 2 roosters remain. The bread, the bread — a bit hit on this post. And funny, that particular batch would’ve burned, but luckily we womenfolk got back to the cottage after chicken-tending just in time to circumvent such a tragedy. (The men were supposed to be watching the bread, but I guess they got into the beer early.) :)

xooxoxooxoxoxoxo

On 27 March 2014 at 7:53 pm

Audrey said,

Oh I want to live there! How wonderful to share this slice with us–(even a slice of bread??)

On 27 March 2014 at 10:35 pm

Looks like an awesome vaca! Cool Pyramid! We have a spiritualist wigwam right across from where I’m now bbsitting, but I don’t go there often. Way way back I dug a pipe trench for their camphouse plumbing. Similar construction to that place. Maybe they’ll have visions in the pyaimid too???

Your friends daughter is getting so grown up! The farm looks like a blast to visit. Lucky you!

On 27 March 2014 at 11:29 pm

Margaret said,

I’m movin’ in. Ha. Actually, I lived in the Texas “Hill Country” for three years when I first got married – San Antonio, TX. :) Looks like you had a wonderful vacation.

On 29 March 2014 at 4:30 pm

Yeah, I noticed you were good at marveling. lol *cheesy grin*

On 29 March 2014 at 6:06 pm

Audrey! Howdy again. “The slice” of life shared, yes — good observation!

Snaggle! Cool on that spiritual wigwam. Do they operate year-round? I think there might be some trancendental trips indeed in the pyramid. I’ll keep up updated!!

Margaret! I didn’t know you were so familiar with Central Texas Hill Country! Did you ever get to Fredericksberg, Wimberly and / or Greune? Such awesome historic little towns!

Alice Audrey. :) :) :)

xooxo

On 31 March 2014 at 7:23 am

Dr. J said,

Makes me want to pack up my guitar and go there, eat some bread and get my hair done too!

On 1 April 2014 at 7:30 pm

Okay, so Dear Dr. J, let us sing…

pack up your troubles
    and your old guitar
    and head. to. Texas.

sung of course, to the melody of…

pack up your troubles
    in your old kit bag
    and smile, smile, smile.

And what kind of a hair-do do you want?? :) I’m not much of a stylist, you’d end up with a hair-don’t if I had the scissors in my hand. :)

xooxo

On 22 April 2014 at 9:14 pm

Something going down at the pyramid?

On 24 April 2014 at 11:18 pm

Yep, Alice… On Easter Sunday late afternoon Ricardo led an Om and Kalyani led a Gregorian-esque chant along with the Om, singing the names we had written on little cards of dear ones passed. xoxoox

On 18 May 2014 at 1:00 am

Sounds exactly like the kind of thing some people I used to know did all the time. Only we made do with forest. No handy pyramid to do great things to the sound.

On 21 May 2014 at 8:10 am

Did you have a bonfire? I knew a dude who went by himself to the desert every year and burned bits of the past year on a fire. xooxox