When I Grow Up — Flash Fiction 55

Flash Fiction 55, Photography, Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 7 April 2014 @ 8:04 PM 21 Comments

just_a_photo_to_go_with_a_poem

a spring-fresh
bud, waving

hello
from a
poem.

flash55

~~ Shay Fireblossom over at Word Garden is emceeing the Flash Fiction 55 this week, whoohoo!!

And since I wrote that poem today and took that photo today, I guess that ties them together fine.

Y’all take care now!

xooxoxoxoxo

On 7 April 2014 at 10:42 pm

brian miller said,

ha. i like the thought of being a leaf on a tree
    of playing with the crickets…
    even the dive into winter sounds enticing…
    smiles.
    ha. waving hello back.

On 8 April 2014 at 1:31 am

a spirit of simplicity said,

sounds like a lovely life for a grown up leaf

On 8 April 2014 at 3:48 am

Hi Jannie .. imagination can take us many places can’t it – I love the photo of you three with the cups and saucers … so different yet they set each other off ..

Thankfully those leaves are all sprouting now … and greening up ready for their time in this world …

Cheers Hilary

On 8 April 2014 at 4:53 am

That is a happy poem!

On 8 April 2014 at 8:14 am

G-Man said,

Jannabelle…
    Thanks for supporting the new team.
    I loved your wishful 55
    You Rock…G

On 8 April 2014 at 11:09 am

Your whimsical poems always make me smile, Jannie. 😀 One word of advice: It’s OK to play croquet with the crickets, but don’t play it with the katydids. They cheat sometimes. 😉

On 8 April 2014 at 5:45 pm

Grandmother (Mary)) said,

The fun of our mind unfettered at spring getting re-acquainted with nature.

On 8 April 2014 at 6:59 pm

Fireblossom said,

Tuba? Not a zither? Thanks for playing, Fun One!

On 8 April 2014 at 8:47 pm

Margaret said,

So fresh – to be forever young each spring… sigh. I’m assuming the charming photograph is your little girl in that sweet lacy dress and bonnet…

On 9 April 2014 at 1:51 am

Why grow up? Why postpone the experience of being a leaf on a tree? Notice who is always smiling at everything floating by. That which is forever present, is spontaneously pretending to be the croquet player and the crickets, the canasta player and the cows, the autumn, winter and spring-fresh bud. The experience and the experiencer are always savoring this moment. The awareness of all is all

On 9 April 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hey Bri, I like the winter part because I’m asleep in this poem. :) Hibernating. :)

A Spirit of Simplicity, and you should see the parties in our tree! Better than the one in “Go Dog Go.” :)

Hilary, ooo greening up where you are. I remember how spring in your country was magical indeed! Yes, I was re-arranging the photos and curios and such on the shelves over my desk yesterday, trying to decide which was my favorite, perhaps even to write a poem called My Favorite Shelf. :) Then I learned Shay was posting the Monday before the Tues, which I was not sure of. So I quickly added my favorite pic of the desk session to this post and let Shay know it was up.

Hi Lynn!! Happy is good. :) Hopefully it made your spirits bright to read.

G-Man, YOU rock!!

Daisy, Yes, and I heard the caitydids cheat at bocci ball too!

Lovely Grandmother Mary in Tuscany, :) lovely indeed! And guess what??!! The honey bees are back at our pittospora today (or pittosporums?) They are just starting to flower. I planted those as wee shrubs, OMG — 20 years ago, almost to the month. Wow!!

Fireblossom, zither, sounds so Dr. Seuss an instrument to me. maybe it is? :)

Margaret, yep that was The Pea at age 10 months in Nova Scotia where she was Christened. She did wear the same bonnet at Easter a few months earlier.

Dearest Liara, you have caught and magnified the spirit of the poem indeed! Well off to sing with the bees now…

oxoxoxooxoxooxo

On 10 April 2014 at 11:20 am

Chris Edgar said,

I always get warmly wistful reading these, which I far prefer to, I guess, the frigid Arctic kind of wistfulness. Leaves on trees are extraordinary things, aren’t they — they don’t need to strive for or fight against anything to get all their needs provided for. They have some of the finest adulthoods of all creatures, I think.

On 10 April 2014 at 9:35 pm

Love these budding trees, n your cute poem, feeling as a leaf bud. when I grow up I’m going to Leaf!
    Poor Chris n his Arctic wistfulness- I swear I’ll NOT complain about heat this year!

On 11 April 2014 at 12:32 pm

Warmfully wistful
    he wonders… sung to part of the melody of Charlotte’s web. (I’ll have to YouTube it, and come back here to let you know which lines in there exactly. But if you know the song, you’ll probably know the bars I mean. Yes, leaves are so well-behaved, reliable and giving. And a beautiful addition to this poem in the poem you leave above, thank you.

Snaggle, did you complain about the heat last year? I hope not to this summer! And now that my car A/C is fixed (as of last week, whooohoooooo,) I should have no reason to lament of the sun’s raging rays. So let’s not grow up — let’s stay just who we are, and laissez les constantly springtime-leafy bons temps rouler!

oxoxoxooxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo

On 11 April 2014 at 6:18 pm

Sara said,

I loved the picture and the poem. Your poems are reminding a lot of E.E.Cummings. I not sure why, but when I read some of his poems out loud, there’s a similar flow as when I read yours. It kind of reminds me of a water dancing down over rocks.

Only your poems are a lot funnier:~)

I loved this verse:

“i’ll
    play
    canasta
    with the
    cows.”

What an image that puts in my mind:~)

Well, happy day to you, Jannie and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

On 12 April 2014 at 12:47 pm

Dearest Sara, you know I knew e.e. personally, right? We used to make birch bark mini canoes and sail them in the puddles in the front yard. Speaking of funny poems — I just wrote one about a mug who had a lot of friends! I’ll have to count and see if it’s close to a 55. Canasta is some kind of card game, right? Never played it, have you? Thank you, a beautiful weekend to you too. It’s a wild windy one here so far. Sunny, tho. I think it’s kite wind blowing here from Bermuda. :)

xoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxo

On 12 April 2014 at 2:50 pm

Talon said,

Now that’s a nice way to grow up! xoxo

On 12 April 2014 at 3:38 pm

Can I skip the tuba and the diving part and go straight to spring bud?

On 15 April 2014 at 12:53 pm

Yo, Talon! xoxooxoxoxoxoox

Yo, Alice! Yes, you can create your own poem reality. :) oxoxo

On 15 April 2014 at 1:07 pm

Linda said,

A lovely flower-waving, breeze-blowing 55 just for Spring. Right now we are having Spring showers. I won’t complain because it will be hot and dry soon enough. Have a great week!

On 15 April 2014 at 1:31 pm

Oh Linda, we had chilly rain yesterday and it was HEAVENLY!!! Jim said it was like an October day in Nova Scotia. A rainy one, that is. :) As NS can be still quite warmly sunny in Oct. Going back up to about 80 again here in a few days. Just so happy the A/C in my car is running again. And actually better than ever because we cleaned out the interior filter! xooxoxoxo See you soon! oxosxo