“They Took Us In” a poem of gratitude for angels

Family, Mysteries, Poetry | Posted by Jannie on 7 March 2015 @ 7:21 PM 31 Comments

they_took_us_in

they took us in like
a doorstep basket baby,

like a hatless hitch-hiker
into a February car.

they anonymously paid our
first and last month’s rent

and keep slipping hundreds
and hamburgers under our door.

we hail from a northern
nation of funny words

and funnier traditions, like
sky painting and snow gambling,

yet, they see something
in us, something similar

to themselves — love maybe
trust, hope, loyalty, goodness

or possibly we remind them
of church supper smiles they
haven’t thought of in years.

~~ end of poem, posted for no other reason than Poetry Rocks, and so do YOU!!

almost_dinner

Photo #2 from an hour ago, the pets all facing in my direction to remind me it was almost dinner time.

And since I like threes, one more pic!

Good_Luck_7s

Kelly with besties in Dallas last month, just before she was to accept 2 gold medals, first on bars and first on vault.

xoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxox

p.s. For those of you with whom I don’t do FaceBook / Instagram, the top photo was taken Feb. 22nd, our 23rd wedding anniversary.

On 8 March 2015 at 6:41 am

G. B. Miller said,

Holy cow, 23 years of wedded bliss!

Congrabulations!

On 8 March 2015 at 10:17 am

Sara said,

Congratulations to Kelly!

Congratulations to Jannie for an absolutely wonderful poem. It really touched me:~)

I love all the pictures, but my favorite is the one with the animals and Kelly. Everyone looks like it’s nap time. I read that they were all waiting for dinner. It’s a cute picture and made me smile.

Happy anniversary…slightly late:~)

On 8 March 2015 at 12:13 pm

vandana said,

wow congratulations

On 8 March 2015 at 1:03 pm

annell4 said,

I enjoyed your write!

On 8 March 2015 at 2:28 pm

Donna@Living From Happiness said,

Congrats on many counts…what a nice feeling to be taken in!

On 8 March 2015 at 2:43 pm

brian miller said,

nice…love the family portrait…
    it feels good when you are taken in…when people
    realize that beyond and under it all we are all human and in
    this together….smiles.

On 8 March 2015 at 2:54 pm

Grace said,

Enjoyed the family photos ~ And congrats on the wedding milestone and your daughter’s medals ~

On 9 March 2015 at 2:35 am

Poppy said,

A very touching, heartfelt poem; made me smile, and remember the kindness of strangers who eventually became friends. Kudos to the talented gymnast – well done!:))

Poppy

On 9 March 2015 at 6:16 am

lee san said,

your poem is so touching, and i like the photos too. the second one brings a big smile to my face, it is so cute.
    and congrats on your anniversary, and your daughter’s gold medals. :)

On 9 March 2015 at 7:33 am

Jae Rose said,

What an uplifting post…gave me a lot of hope

On 9 March 2015 at 9:17 am

Hey Father Nature. :) Reminds me, shall I update you a “Friend Button” since Shooting Suburbia is no longer your main place? Thanks, 23. Seems like a lot of years! :)

Thank you Dear Sara! She is having a great season, I think. I am glad you liked the poem!!!! I am always happy to post one, knowing how you like poetry. And looking through my drafts this past weekend I see I have a few more written. I KNOW, isn’t that a CUTE picture!! Just an impromptu capture from my throne taken with Kelly’s old iPhone 4S. Them animals make sure they strategically place themselves to be fully seen by me as meal times approach. :)

Thanks, Vandana! It’s been a pretty-good time here lately. Then again, life is always beautiful.

Thank you, Annell4!! Once in a while I get these ideas that come through me, so I share. :)

Hi Donna! Your site name reminds me of “There is no way to happiness. Happiness IS the way.” It is a good feeling indeed to be taken in, humbles you. And you pay it forward.

That’s right, Bri! We are all in this together, nice thought! And there for the grace of many, go I. :)

Heaven must be missing an angel, because here she is floating back to Funsterland again. Maybe a “Snow Angel” digging her way out in Mississauga?? :) Thank you my lovely, as Frankie sang… “it was [IS] a very good year.” :)

Poppy, my dear, dear Poppy! Kindness above all makes it all work. Kindness in gymnastics too on top of that natural talent, plus a lot of hard work, perseverance, and believing in one’s self.

Hi Lee San! I know, as I was telling Sara, an impromptu photo taken from my chair. I’m glad the sun was still out a bit to illuminate the scene, ’cause it was cute! Thank you, thank you! And last year her medals were mostly bronze, with 1 silver. 6 golds so far this season!! Proud mama, indeed!

Well Jae Rose, you know what? It continues to amaze me how much good there is in the world. Too bad all the “bad stuff” gets the most press, eh? :) I tend to shut the bad stuff out anyway, don’t watch the news. I watch The Long Island Medium!!!

Alrighty then, what’s next?

Housework or songwriting?

Housework or songwriting?

hmmmmmnnn…

Second cup of coffee I think, then anything could happen. :)

xooxoxoxooxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoox

On 9 March 2015 at 10:03 am

humbird said,

Love your dedication to angels….Once you open to miracles…they will be coming and coming your way….Enjoy! ~ Love the poem and photos – so cozy! Cong. to anniversary and daughter’s success! Very exciting! Cheers!

On 9 March 2015 at 11:20 am

Magaly Guerrero said,

The best reason for sharing our words is because they rock and so do those who enjoy them. So this poem tastes particularly delicious because of it. I love the imagery of hamburgers being slipped under the door, and the symbolism of it…

And congrats to your daughter! Not one, but 2? She rocks!

On 10 March 2015 at 3:45 am

Angels indeed, Always good to thank the kind souls. Yep I could deal with some hundreds under the door! Good for you getting a [poem up here this week. You Rock!

On 10 March 2015 at 9:33 am

Linda said,

Hi Jannie,
    Great poem, full of love of humankind and generosity. Congrats on your anniversary…lovely family photo. Like Sara, I like the one with the four-legged family members waiting for their dinner.

I read a story from another blogger about some little gymnasts you might like.

Have a great week. Hope Spring is springing up in your neighborhood.

On 10 March 2015 at 10:46 am

Love the poem – it would be awesome to have someone shoving hamburgers under the door! Love your imagination, Jannie Muffin.

And what wonderful pics – congrats on your anniversary! I would love to be sleeping on a couch right now like Kelly is in that pic. And lovey besties, too.

oxooxoo

On 11 March 2015 at 12:25 pm

Hey Humbird, your word choice of miracles reminds me what I read by Tolle the other day. “Ultimately you are not a person, but a focal point where the Universe is becoming conscious of itself. What an amazing miracle.” Thank you for your visit!

I know, Magaly, the image of food passed under a door makes me smile too. And I guess you’re not vegetarian or vegan? :) Yep, 6 gold medals so far this season!! 1 meet to go. (Oh, and Mag, I have to brag — hey rhymes!!(Assuming Mag IS pronounced that way.) Since you are relatively new here, you probably don’t know that my husband built that entire room with his own two hands. ALL of it. Except we did get help with the framing, some dudes tiled the floor) and I did a lot of the painting. We built that room to the back of our house between 1994 & 1996.)

Snag, I KNOW, a poem eh? Your favorite posts of mine, so you once wrote. Please feel the in-spirit Ben Franklins now wafting over your entryway sill. :)

Linda-Bo_Binda, thanks on all! And how awesome you send a link to something gymnastics. I WILL check it out. Yes, some redbud and Bradford Pear blossoms now out, many of said pears already greening up. Still nice and chilly, tho, yay!! how ’bout YOUR spring signs?

Lynnie-Bo_Binnie, I could go for some P-Terrys double cheese on whole wheat with lettuce, pickle, onion, tomatoes, special sauce and just a wafer of mustard and ketchup, plus a lemonade right about now! Maybe for dinner. And I hope if you so desire you get the nap of your dreams and as soon as possible!! I had a nap this morning, and really strange dreams that I am sure have somehow evolved me into a better person. :) YES, AWESOME besties!!! She’s been with 2 of those girls for over 3 years now, and the new little one (the other ginger)is as awesome as they come too.

xooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxox

On 12 March 2015 at 9:43 am

Hi Jannie – congratulations on 23 years – that’s great news. Love the sitting room shot – just looks plain cozy … fun pics .. and love the poem – so pleased Kelly is doing so well … congratulations to you all .. and much love and hugs – Hils xoxoxoxo

On 13 March 2015 at 8:59 am

karyn and barkly said,

Beautiful family. And since I started reading your blog Kelly sure has grown! Happy 23 Years, and Congrats to Kelly for those medals.

That poem is really nice. Angels are like that… they are people helping you and guided from the heavenly ones.

On 13 March 2015 at 1:11 pm

Linda said,

I have crocus and a few daffodils. I’ve seen some trees flowering, but definitely not the redbuds or bradfords…soon though. I think things are later here this year because of that miserable cold spell last month. Still, Spring is on it’s way. We’ve had a few 70 degree days so far.

On 14 March 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hey, Sweet Hilary, yeah — he’s put up with me for that long. :) 25 will be fun. Silver Anniversary, holy cow!! And guess what?? Another gold medal this weekend. First on balance beam, totally hit her routine. 9.525 for that! Also her personal best on bars of 9.6, silver for that. Plus, 2nd in the All Around score, also busting out another personal best, 37.5 / 40.

Yeah Karyn, she would’ve been… hang on, started this blog in 2008, so she was 7. And of 3 days ago, now closer to age 14 than 13. There’s everything to be said for angels. Guiding us, siding with, and abiding by us — hey, am I a poet? You know it! :)

Dearest Linda, do you live on much land?

xoxooxoxoxoxooxoxxooxoxo

On 16 March 2015 at 10:35 am

Linda said,

I wish, but no, we have a half acre plus another acre nearby where my parents lived – all inside the city limits.

On 16 March 2015 at 1:01 pm

Love the family portrait and the poem, Jannie. I hope you had a nice anniversary! Kelly looks nice and cozy there in the picture with the pets. :)

On 16 March 2015 at 6:55 pm

Sounds nice, Linda! What do you do with the full acre? Is it built on, or wild like a jungle? :) Our home here is on just 1/3 acre, but has a huge backyard.

Now the party’s getting started because Daisy’s arrived in her finest gown. Thanks. Yes, and I know, right?! All tucked into her favorite blanket, which is a nice fuzzy one.

xooxoxoxoox

On 16 March 2015 at 8:23 pm

YOUR poetry certainly rocks. Thanks for the share.

What is snow gambling?

Whooohooo on the medals!

On 22 March 2015 at 8:46 am

Dr. J said,

I still write poetry from time to time. Not as nice as yours!

On 24 March 2015 at 8:01 pm

Hey Dear Alice, thanks! Snow gambling is whatever you want it to be. :) Just some nutty way of saying we hail from a snowy land. Yes, SEVEN gold medals this season.

Ah gawrsh, Dr. J. Thanks! And I’m not a sculptor, so you got me beat there!

xooxoxoxoxo

On 17 April 2015 at 1:41 pm

Want to take bets on whose snow melts fastest now? Wait, did you get snow this year?

On 19 April 2015 at 12:33 pm

Oh Alice, what an interesting time I’m responding to you at. No snow this year here this winter, but last night… HAIL!!!! Half the leaves were beaten off the trees. Looks like my impatiens are probably going to recover, TG. Man, thought it was a tornado when I first heard the storm start up. A nearby power line caught fire, luckily it was out fast. And the power came back on after a few hours. Bet you don’t have as much snow as my mom and dad got, though! Which reminds me of a hilarious photo Jim emailed me recently. It shows the Seinfeld “Soup Nazi” guy saying…. You? You live in Halifax? NO SPRING FOR YOU!!! :) :)

xooxoxoxoxox

On 16 May 2015 at 10:11 am

LOL, “No Spring for you!” Too funny.

I’m having a ridiculously long spring. We normally go from highs in the 30’s to highs in the 70’s in about a month, maybe a month and a half. We’ve been stuck at highs in the 60’s for weeks now. It feels weird.

On 16 May 2015 at 4:23 pm

Alice, Stuck in the 60s….. maybe your spring has a hippie fixation this year? :) I guess you get great sweeping fields of spring wildflowers on the mountains? Do you get lupines in late spring??

xooxoxoxxo